18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

  • Welcome

    Welcome to CAguns

    Join California’s gun owner community. Create a free account to join discussions and explore member features.

Gear Any experience with .458 SOCOM complete uppers?

What's tactical?

Librarian

Retired poltergeist - that's what I tell the IRS
CAguns Supporter
📝 Contributor
Founder 2026 2
Messages
265
Just noodling around and wondered if any of the offerings were good value.

Thought was to put on a decent 1X (dot) optic, just drop a new upper on my Daniel Defense AR.

Yes, I'm aware of the cost of ammo. Haven't looked into actual availability, since no point to that if I can't shoot it.
 
I don't have any experience with the 458 socom, but I do have a 450 bushmaster. My research a while back lead me to believe the 450 was a little flatter shooting with a bit more impact and a bit less recoil.

I really like the 450. They're probably similar enough that I bet you would also like the 458.
 
I bought a Tromix complete upper and have shot >2,000 rounds through it. The only problems I sometimes encountered were mag related and once I switched completely to old GI mags with the standard GI follower, it was flawless. I found magpul mags did not feed reliably.

My optic is a leupold 1-4x firedot.

I debated large bore uppers and chose 458 socom because I prefer head spacing on the shoulder vs. case mouth when reloading rifle ammo.
 
Back
Top Bottom