By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.
Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.
Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.
What irons are you going to run? Does your gas block have a pic rail on it for the FS?My new handguard turned out defective and instead of leaving the rifle in pieces untill I order the replacement, I put the plastic Magpul back and this is what I ended up with.
View attachment 239886
I’m kind of digging it and may leave it like this. A Holosun ARO optic needs to go back on it.
What you guys think?
What irons are you going to run? Does your gas block have a pic rail on it for the FS?
Was the guard you ordered full rifle length?? I have only run a rifle length guard as the longest that I like on my long guns. I know they make rifle + or SPR length (18in) that will cover almost all of a 20in barrel. The only reason that i can think of running with that extra weight out front is if you do a lot of barricade shooting or want a dedicated marksman setup for urban environments.
Here’s a comparison of the 15” guard on a 16” AR15 and 22” AR10
I think your setup looks great either way. It really comes down to how you want to use it.

My new handguard turned out defective and instead of leaving the rifle in pieces untill I order the replacement, I put the plastic Magpul back and this is what I ended up with.
View attachment 239886
I’m kind of digging it and may leave it like this. A Holosun ARO optic needs to go back on it.
What you guys think?

This is primarily caused by the front face of the receiver not being square to the receiver bore.My experience with free float handguards hasn't been great. It's been rare to see one that centers the barrel and aligns perfectly with receiver rail.
This is primarily caused by the front face of the receiver not being square to the receiver bore.
When you tighten down the barrel nut, the barrel nut pulls the handguard in the direction that the receiver face is shorter.
Truing the front face of the receiver makes the barel nut sit square to the bore and then the handguard will usually be very close to centered on the barrel assuming the barrel is straight.
Sometimes the barrel is the problem and not the receiver.
Without a machine shop and the ability to measure runout and cut receivers to square, the only way you can figure out what's straight vs crooked is swapping a bunch of parts around and seeing what you get.
I true receiver faces to set them perfectly square to the receiver bore.
It's common that they are 0.001" to 0.003" out of square over the 1" bore diameter.
Interestingly, the fixed iron sights on this upper, before I chopped the FSB, lined up near perfect with the rear aperture centered in the rear sight base.