18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

  • Welcome

    Welcome to CAguns

    Join California’s gun owner community. Create a free account to join discussions and explore member features.

AWB: Handguns + chassis - magazine in grip??

New_Spin

Active member
Messages
101
So between watching a few of Reno May's videos on AOW's, AWB stuff etc, and other research...
I've seen mention of magzines that attach outside/inside of the pistol grip.
And I'm just looking for clarification that if you have a pistol that only takes magazines IN the grip (like a regular handgun, one that's on the Roster), does that at least eleviate falling into AWB territory on some things like pistol chassis/braces?

Per PC § 30515:
  • A semiautomatic pistol that does not have a fixed magazine but has any one of the following: (A) A threaded barrel, capable of accepting a flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer; (B) A second handgrip; (C) A shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel that allows the bearer to fire the weapon without burning the bearer's hand, except a slide that encloses the barrel; (D) The capacity to accept a detachable magazine at some location outside of the pistol grip.
I know generally the whole chassis/pistol brace debate is a gray area, and I've asked a similar question once before on here in general terms of legality.
I understand some chassis systems have built-in 2nd magwells/foregrips etc, I'm NOT talking about any of those.
I'm only referring to the ones that specifically can be purchased without any of the AWB items: no foregrip, no extra magwell, no barrel shroud.
Like the Strike Industries SMC Bravo chassis in its base configuration.

As far as I can see, per the letter of CA law (and not even all that gray in my eyes?), if one were to legally purchase a CA Roster-legal handgun such as a Springfield Echelon, and take the COG/stock slide etc and put it into a Bravo chassis it would be CA-legal
(IANAL of course)

Of course from there the further addition of a pistol brace would be the same question we've debated for years, that's never been tested...
But as far as I can tell, just the chassis itself is just as legal as any other grip module for an Echelon or P320/P365/RXM etc.?
 
IMG_2621.webp

Like this? Perfectly legal. Brace is a gray area, I use them and have never had any issues but I have also never even been pulled over let alone interacted with a cop about firearms beyond bull💩ting with one about what they carry.
 
Back
Top Bottom