18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

Question Best way to secure weapons in a parked vehicle?

spacecataz

Well-known member
Messages
161
Hey all. This question's been bugging me a bit so I thought I'd toss it around here.

I usually go to/from the range with no stops in between. No picking up anything at the pet store, no food that's not drive-thru, no quick errands, nothing. I do this because while my firearms are in locked containers with the ammo in a separate locked container and out of sight, thats it. I'd like to do something to provide more security for my firearms if I were to run an errand, get a bite to eat, etc. on the way home. What's the best option? A lockable container bolted to the trunk bed?

I heard someone on another online discussion mention that the best way to secure firearms in a vehicle was to have a locked container securely bolted to the structure of the vehicle itself. I suppose if that's the best way, that's the best way. Is there another option? Weirdly enough, I transport music gear in my car all the time, but if someone steals a guitar, no one's liable to commit crimes with it (except maybe an out-of-tune version of Sweet Child O'Mine at a bar).

I drive a compact sedan - very nondescript. No stickers of any kind, no custom plate, no nice rims, etc. I never leave things on the seat, etc. I'd like to get my windows tinted to keep the heat out of the backseat, but I prefer to keep my car inconspicuous. I've had a car of mine (not my current one) broken into and a cheap guitar and my registration was stolen, and that memory bugs the hell out of me. If I could get something that would provide another layer of security that COULDN'T be broken into, even if my car was broken into, I'd feel more comfortable.

I hope I'm making sense on this. I'd appreciate any helpful thoughts. Cheers!
 
I have a heavy security cables that I mount to the child safety latch which is anchored to the car. I then thread that to the guns like the California gun padlock or store them in a locking heavy duty pelican case secured with a padlock. Not the best method, but provides some sort of security.
 
Each individual firearm locked in locked cases. Ammo locked separately in a different case. Everything out of sight. Drive straight to your destination and back. If you do have to stop, only do so for a few minutes while keeping your vehicle in view. I always have someone with me, so I have one person keep an eye on the car while I run in to grab whatever it is I need.
 
Lifepod or other security case secured to or through the frame of the vehicle with a security cable. Throw an AirTag in the case as an extra measure. Make sure it isn't visible. You also have options like console vault, headrest safes, etc.

Any storage of firearms in a vehicle should only be a temporary solution, not long term storage.
 
As my former neighbor (who had several burglary convictions told me) if it isn’t bolted or welded to the vehicle’s chassis, I can more easily steal it, quickly. Battery-powered angle grinders and other portable small tools quickly and easily cut through cables, plastic Pelican cases, metal versions of Snap Safe (for vehicles), padlocks, etc.
If you must, make it as time consuming as possible, as thieves want to be over and done in seconds.
Don’t stop where riff-raff hang out, or other groups who draw suspicion.
Keep things covered up, and for crying out loud, make sure your vehicle equipment such as lights, turn signals, etc. works, and friggin use them!…Window tint?…hell to the NO, if the vehicle manufacturer didn’t make it that way. Why?…because I don’t like it when the police are on fishing expeditions focusing on my own vehicle, etc.
 
Back
Top Bottom