18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

Question Calling on precision rifle shooters. ADVICE NEEDED!

Messages
294
Classified ads
3
I’ve got a dilemma on my hands. In short, I’ve built a 308 rifle, just for plinking with a Bergara premier action I had lying around. I threw a Shilen 24” M24 barrel on it and laid into a Foundation stock. Side note, huge thumbs up to Foundation, their stocks are fantastic. Here’s the problem, I’m running a Vortex Razor HD-3 for a scope (heavy) , and one of the 4 screws on the picatinny rail snapped off and I can’t get it out. I’ve tried to drill it out, ended up scratching the crap out of the action. Bergara says the screws on the Premier are 8-40 already, which is an upgrade from 6-48.

So, should i pay a gunsmith, maybe LRI, to fix this issue, plus re-cerakote or just abandon ship and buy a different custom action that has a machined rail as part of the action and this issue should never happen again?IMG_9566.webpIMG_9569.webpIMG_9570.webpIMG_9571.webp
 
Last edited:
I've done this before and I ended up taking it to a gunsmith who fixed it for less than 100 bucks. Worst case scenario you just go one more size up and drill out the rail to fit a slightly larger screw. Another option is just run it with three screws, it's not like a pistol slide that moves under recoil it will likely be fine.
 
I've done this before and I ended up taking it to a gunsmith who fixed it for less than 100 bucks. Worst case scenario you just go one more size up and drill out the rail to fit a slightly larger screw. Another option is just run it with three screws, it's not like a pistol slide that moves under recoil it will likely be fine.
Where did you end up taking it?
 
Where did you end up taking it?
Sleepys in Sacramento but I think literally any gun smith would be able to do it. There's also some places that will do it with lasers to remove the screw
 
OP, don’t know your location, but Randall at @AR15barrels will take care of that while you wait.

One of the best in the business.
I’m down in San Diego. I use a place called Fine Firearms in La Mesa. Problem is, he gave me a 3 to 4 month wait time. I’m thinking about shipping it off to a place called LRI up in Sturgis. Anybody ever use them?
 
Last edited:
No but it's a hour job tops, there's someone local to you for sure
 
I’m down in San Diego. I use a place called Fine Firearms in La Mesa. Problem is, he gave me a 3 to 4 month wait time. I’m thinking about shipping the it off to a place called LRI up in Sturgis. Anybody ever use them?
He’s in the San Fernando Valley. Any where else you could go to make a trip out of it? He really is that good. And again, work done while you wait.
 
So far, it sounds like it’s worth doing the repair. I’m loading some pretty hot loads, about 2850 fps. I hope this doesn’t happen again after the repair. Do have to say, a new Impact Precision 737r is looking pretty tempting right about now. Integrated lug, and rail.
 
So far, it sounds like it’s worth doing the repair. I’m loading some pretty hot loads, about 2850 fps. I hope this doesn’t happen again after the repair. Do have to say, a new Impact Precision 737r is looking pretty tempting right about now. Integrated lug, and rail.
I think it has more to do with a combination of poor quality screws and maybe the wrong torque, there's no reason it should have broke from 308 recoil and a 2.5 lb scope. Definitely not worth scrapping over one screw. The impacts are awesome but you definitely don't neeeeeed it. The only reason would be to get a second rifle in a better cartridge
 
Well, dammit. A $65 repair job and $465 in gas! ☹️

Unless, I can ship it. 🤔
No shipping.
I only work on firearms by in-person appointment.

it's 143 miles drive from san diego to van nuys.
For $456, you can buy 81 gallons of gas at the Costco gas station that's 1/2 mile from my place.
Does your vehicle actually get 3.5mpg?
I suggest you get something with a little better efficiency.

My Venza gets 40mpg and it would cost me $43 of gas to do the round-trip.
Round-trip shipping with insurance will definitely cost at least double that.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom