By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.
Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.
Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.
Nope, i believe only ur parents can gift u one.Can a CA resident obtain an off roster handgun from an out of state brother or sister?
No. Intra Familial transfer will allow the transfer of off-roster handguns, but your brother doesn't qualify for that because of CA's parent/child requirement. Other out-of-state handgun transfers are possible, but the handgun must be on the roster. No path for an off-roster transfer from a brother unless it's in his will and he dies, or the handgun is C&R eligible.I see two different answers. I wasn’t talking about a gift. If my brother in another state has a legal handgun( that is off roster here) can he have his (01) FFL send it to my local (01) FFL for transfer to me ?
NoI see two different answers. I wasn’t talking about a gift. If my brother in another state has a legal handgun( that is off roster here) can he have his (01) FFL send it to my local (01) FFL for transfer to me ?
OP wants to transfer an off-roster handgun from his out of state brother, that’s not legal in CA unfortunatelyThe firearm must be legal to own in California (e.g., not an assault weapon). Handgun transfers within the eligible family are exempt from the state's Handgun Roster.
Do you have a living parent that he could transfer it to first? Then you could eventually have your parent transfer it to you.Thanks. Thats the info I needed.
I understand. My replies cover this.OP wants to transfer an off-roster handgun from his out of state brother, that’s not legal in CA unfortunately
I’m 77 on 9/11 so that won’t work.Do you have a living parent that he could transfer it to first? Then you could eventually have your parent transfer it to you.
His brother could move to Kaliforniastan and bring the gun & then once he's established residency he could xfer, no?No. Intra Familial transfer will allow the transfer of off-roster handguns, but your brother doesn't qualify for that because of CA's parent/child requirement. Other out-of-state handgun transfers are possible, but the handgun must be on the roster. No path for an off-roster transfer from a brother unless it's in his will and he dies, or the handgun is C&R eligible.
Fair enough! Hey, it was worth a try.I’m 77 on 9/11 so that won’t work.
If I can hold until 2030,the gun will be 50 years old!!!
Orrrr, does he have a kid/grandkid in CA he could transfer it to? Then said offspring could PPT it to you once they legally own it here.I’m 77 on 9/11 so that won’t work.
If I can hold until 2030,the gun will be 50 years old!!!
yeah. It has to go to your parent, or child who can then transfer it to youCan a CA resident obtain an off roster handgun from an out of state brother or sister?