18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

  • Welcome

    Welcome to CAguns

    Join California’s gun owner community. Create a free account to join discussions and explore member features.

Question Can an out-of-state resident sell a Mini-14 to a California resident through FFL

countonme650

⚠️ New Member | No Deposits ☢️
Messages
4
I'm not sure if this is the right spot to post this question I have a mini 14 I am a newly out of state resident and I want to give this to a California resident through a FFL is this possible
 
Yes it’s fine, just make sure there’s no flash hider on it. You have to ship it to their ffl. It’s the same as if you had sold it to them through gunbroker. Handguns are more complicated and can have roadblocks, and rifles that have AW features. But otherwise, if it’s on roster handgun or a rifle without features, it ships as normal. Have him make sure that the receiving ffl is ok with taking in guns direct from a private party, if not, you probably have to ship it from an ffl there to the ffl where he is receiving it at.
 
I was going to go back home to visit my father for a few days can we both just go to the gun store to make the transition.
 
I was going to go back home to visit my father for a few days can we both just go to the gun store to make the transition.

You said you were newly out of state, are you now a resident of that state and no longer a resident of California? You have to have valid CA ID still for a gun store to process an in person ppt for you in California.
 
I have my California driver's license the DMV put staples through it so it doesn't scan

I'm kind of scared I'm a resident of another state I don't want to give a gun store and invalid license

I've never given anything away or sold a firearm

I always said why would anyone do that

I don't want to break any laws
 
I just called an FFL they said that since I'm now a resident of another state it's not a person to person transfer

I would have to ship the gun to a gun store the shipping is going to cost over $100 cuz you have to ensure it so UPS don't destroy it

Then the gun store I think has to charge sales tax on what the mini-14 is worth is probably worth 500 bucks

The sales tax is 21%

I was just going to give a person this

The best thing to do is take it for me to take it to the local gun shop sell it and send him a check

He's very wealthy he doesn't need any money

It looks like I'm just going to keep it thank you everyone
I was a cow gun member in the early days the early 2000s or middle 2000s I just wasn't able to get my account back
 
Can they no longer put it in their own inventory then sell it to your person? Many many years ago I purchased a pistol from a nonresident seller. It wasn't a PPT. The store had to take it into inventory same as they do when mailed in, then sell out of their inventory to me. I paid taxes, etc on it just like if I had bought out of their glass case, but it was easy.
 
Surprised nobody’s mentioned this. Make sure it only has a 10 round magazine when you do the transfer, along with all the other CA crap mentioned above.
 
Last edited:
I just called an FFL they said that since I'm now a resident of another state it's not a person to person transfer

I would have to ship the gun to a gun store the shipping is going to cost over $100 cuz you have to ensure it so UPS don't destroy it

Then the gun store I think has to charge sales tax on what the mini-14 is worth is probably worth 500 bucks

The sales tax is 21%

I was just going to give a person this

The best thing to do is take it for me to take it to the local gun shop sell it and send him a check

He's very wealthy he doesn't need any money

It looks like I'm just going to keep it thank you everyone
I was a cow gun member in the early days the early 2000s or middle 2000s I just wasn't able to get my account back


It’s probably best for you to just keep it then. The gun store isn’t going to give you much at all for a used mini 14. If you got $500 from them I’d be amazed.

Either keep it for yourself, or ship it to him and declare the value at $1, so that he would only have to pay a tax of 21 cents. The chances are low it gets lost or damaged, and like I said the mini 14 has fairly low value. All guns right now are selling slow.
 
Back
Top Bottom