18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

Question Captured guide rod on a carry .380

Messages
274
Classified ads
2
Hey all. Just picked up a walther pd380 and love it. However im noticing after 3 or 4 shots I get a double load. Could this be a guide rod issue or is there something else im not reading into. My grip is firm and the ammo is good (played with a few brands before I found one that works well). If there's any insight anyone can give me it would be much appreciated. I love the gun and want it as my carry but it needs to feed reliably
 
Are you experiencing a double feed where two live rounds are stripped from the magazine or a failure to extract where a spent case remains in the chamber and a live round is sent behind it?
For a double feed, I’d check your magazines and mag springs.
For a failure to extract, check your extractor, chamber condition and ammo.
If it’s a new gun, I’d send it back to Walther and let them correct any issues
 
Are you experiencing a double feed where two live rounds are stripped from the magazine or a failure to extract where a spent case remains in the chamber and a live round is sent behind it?
For a double feed, I’d check your magazines and mag springs.
For a failure to extract, check your extractor, chamber condition and ammo.
If it’s a new gun, I’d send it back to Walther and let them correct any issues
One round gets loaded in correctly and at the same time a second round is "accepted" into the chamber jamming the gun. It will not fire (thankfully). The slide locks back.

Im not sure if I can actually send it out to walther as im not the original purchaser. I got it in a PPT about a month ago.

It was stated to have about 50 rounds through. I'm using the mags I was given and not the new ones I bought.

The issue sort of started to clear up as I put more rounds through it but it does still happen.

I hope its just mag springs because honestly I dont know how to do anything else 😅. I bought the stainless steel captured guide rod from Galloway precision and it'll get here today but that was just a shot in the dark. I dont know if thats going to do anything except make takedown easier.

I appreciate answering my question. All insight is needed and welcomed. I love the gun and I dont want to go back to looking for another comfortable ccw.
 
I don't have the Walther PD380, but I did find someone else reporting double feeds.

https://www.waltherforums.com/threads/my-thoughts-on-the-pd380.133788/

Here's the quote from the link above.

"I DID have some double feeds and jams with the ammunition I was using. (Don’t purchase LAX boxed .380) they jammed and/or did not feed properly. Once I switched to another ammo it was fine!"

Have you tried different ammo?
Yeah I follow that forum too. I saw that post. I dont use lax ammo for obvious reasons lol. But when I purchased, he sold me 800 rounds of 380. This also happened with HD rounds. I cleaned it a couple days ago (it was flithy) so maybe thats the issue also. I'm going to take it to the range tomorrow to see if the problem persists.

Thanks. I'll post back here with what I find. If it still happens, I'll try to take video or a few pics of whats happening.
 
It’s always better to diagnose video over text. You could be limp wristing if your grip softens. I usually go softer recoil to about 15 lb stock is usually over sprung


Also what ammo and grain are you using? Might want to buy a different brand too. Just because you found it for one doesn’t mean it’s best for another.
 
It’s always better to diagnose video over text. You could be limp wristing if your grip softens. I usually go softer recoil to about 15 lb stock is usually over sprung


Also what ammo and grain are you using? Might want to buy a different brand too. Just because you found it for one doesn’t mean it’s best for another.
This is my first and only .380 so I'm using what I was given. Honestly speaking though, I've never heard of the brand but I have like 800 rounds. I tried some different HD rounds at the range. Hornady, the brass was getting shaved so I stopped, sig was getting stuck. I found one that seems to work for HD but for range use I think I need to try other ammo.

I thought I may have been limp wristing as well when I was at the range last so I corrected my grip and it still happened. Also the guide rod I bought is the same stiffness as factory just stainless instead of polymer. I can't find any other company that makes ANYTHING for this gun lol. I'll go to the range this afternoon and see if I can grab some pics/video of the issue.

I also just cleaned the gun a couple days ago. It was nasty. None of my other guns (used purchases) were this dirty so I'm kinda hoping that was the issue too. Will update this evening. Thanks everyone who's giving me ideas to try. I'm not new to firearms or shooting, but I am new to doing anything to the internals so any help there is appreciated.
 
It’s always better to diagnose video over text. You could be limp wristing if your grip softens. I usually go softer recoil to about 15 lb stock is usually over sprung


Also what ammo and grain are you using? Might want to buy a different brand too. Just because you found it for one doesn’t mean it’s best for another.
Checking my ammo, my range ammo is a company named "MAXX-Tach", unsure of the grain (I dont have the boxes) but I think 85gr.

The ones pictured are HD rounds that didnt work well. The left is sig and the right is G9? Or G7?
 

Attachments

  • 1000004951.webp
    1000004951.webp
    18.3 KB · Views: 0
Back
Top Bottom