18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

  • Welcome

    Welcome to CAguns

    Join California’s gun owner community. Create a free account to join discussions and explore member features.

CCW and modular guns

mountain_yokai

Active member
Messages
87
I have two Echelons...both set up slightly different. If only one of them is on my CCW and I go out with a swapped slide/barrel (which will have a different SN) on either of the grips, and I get stopped for some reason, would that be a problem with mismatched SN's on the slide/barrel and grip/cog?
 
It depends on your IA and the school you do your training at.
I have a gun on my CCW with a different serial on the slide but thats not noted anywhere.
The Make/Model/Cal/Serial/Color/Light/Red Dots are notated though.
I can change grips just not the color. If I qualify with a light or red dot I need to keep it on. I could change the brands. If I qualify without a light or Red Dot I can't add it later without requalifying.
So I have a combination of:
Guns with no light or Red Dot
Guns with just a light
Guns with just a red Dot
Guns with Both
 
My permit lists serial and caliber. I swap p365x with p365 xmacro setups all the time.
 
S/N on the slide/barrel shouldn’t matter, as those are parts and only the S/N from the COG itself is what’s listed on your CCW qualification paperwork. But as others have mentioned, configuration with red dot/light must be the same as what’s on the paperwork. Also, be careful of changing barrel length, as I believe that constitutes a modification that needs to be requalified.
 
S/N on the slide/barrel shouldn’t matter, as those are parts and only the S/N from the COG itself is what’s listed on your CCW qualification paperwork. But as others have mentioned, configuration with red dot/light must be the same as what’s on the paperwork. Also, be careful of changing barrel length, as I believe that constitutes a modification that needs to be requalified.
I don’t have any paperwork or pictures of my guns. Barrel length, optics - non of that listed anywhere. My IA moved from in person paperwork to permitium and I think they confused more than I am. When I applied for initial ccw two years ago they asked for dros and pictures.
Now, for renewal with permitium , they only asked for serials, models and caliber. My renewal hasn’t been approved yet, maybe they will later? But I had my class three weeks ago and submitted everything that was asked.
That’s so stupid we don’t have sane rules and same permit statewide
 
They did photos when I got my CCW yet no photos for my re-qual to add 2 more later, lol go figure. If the serial on the gun matches the serial on your license then obviously you are ok.
 
I don’t have any paperwork or pictures of my guns. Barrel length, optics - non of that listed anywhere. My IA moved from in person paperwork to permitium and I think they confused more than I am. When I applied for initial ccw two years ago they asked for dros and pictures.
Now, for renewal with permitium , they only asked for serials, models and caliber. My renewal hasn’t been approved yet, maybe they will later? But I had my class three weeks ago and submitted everything that was asked.
That’s so stupid we don’t have sane rules and same permit statewide
Right, the application system itself only asked for certain info, but the CCW qualification forms had additional info. What paperwork did the CCW instructor who qualified your weapons give you? That’s where mine listed the specs on each of the pistols I listed on mine, including barrel length.
 
I have two Echelons...both set up slightly different. If only one of them is on my CCW and I go out with a swapped slide/barrel (which will have a different SN) on either of the grips, and I get stopped for some reason, would that be a problem with mismatched SN's on the slide/barrel and grip/cog?
I’ve seen enough variation from counties and IA’s but you should have the permitted guns and S/N’s listed on your the back of your permit card.

That’s the source of truth and should be on the frame of whatever you’re carrying.
 
All mine shows is the maker, the model, caliber, and the serial number.

Based on that, any variation of say a P365 you want to build would be fine. The issuing agency has no details.
 
Last edited:
Right, the application system itself only asked for certain info, but the CCW qualification forms had additional info. What paperwork did the CCW instructor who qualified your weapons give you? That’s where mine listed the specs on each of the pistols I listed on mine, including barrel length.
1782157922408.webp
 
I was in the situation you are asking about with LAPD long before Echelons hit CA. I intentionally put a full size one on my permit knowing the compact would drop eventually. As soon as 4.0 dropped I bought it and swapped COG. Slide serial #s don’t matter, only concern would be if your IA has rules against mods or takes pics of the guns configuration at qual.
 
Back
Top Bottom