18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

Question CFRAS registration

snowbaby

Member
Messages
33
Classified ads
1
So I called the DOJ and they said I won’t be able to use my firearms until I register them and it gets approved .Is this correct? Also, how long does it take for to get approved? She was saying something about 1-3 months and I’m trying to shoot as soon as I can.
 
So I called the DOJ and they said I won’t be able to use my firearms until I register them and it gets approved .Is this correct? Also, how long does it take for to get approved? She was saying something about 1-3 months and I’m trying to shoot as soon as I can.
More details would be good.....
New Resident...
Family Transfer in CA...

What are we talking about?

Might not be able to add to CCW.... but use how?
 
More details would be good.....
New Resident...
Family Transfer in CA...

What are we talking about?

Might not be able to add to CCW.... but use how?
New resident just trying to shoot on private property or maybe range that’s my main concern right now
 
New resident just trying to shoot on private property or maybe range that’s my main concern right now
Nothing in the law requiring you wait for CADOJ..... In fact you have 60 days to sell or register them.
CADOJ loves to just make up laws..... never time just go "cool, what penal code requires me to wait" and watch them fumble around....
 
It used to take years for some of these forms to get approved. Glad to hear that DOJ says the process has become faster but there is no requirement to wait on a response. You have fulfilled your requirements by filing the form.
 
Nothing in the law requiring you wait for CADOJ..... In fact you have 60 days to sell or register them.
CADOJ loves to just make up laws..... never time just go "cool, what penal code requires me to wait" and watch them fumble around....
So if I wanted to sell my gun today I would be able to walk into a ffl and sell the gun to the shop or do a ppt? As long as I have the proof of residency and the other stuff needed
 
So if I wanted to sell my gun today I would be able to walk into a ffl and sell the gun to the shop or do a ppt? As long as I have the proof of residency and the other stuff needed
You need to have proof of CA residency as PPT's are between two California residents. Some FFL's also look for a Firearm Safety Certificate ($25 test in the store, usually) in case the sale falls through and the gun has to go back to you.
 
You need to have proof of CA residency as PPT's are between two California residents. Some FFL's also look for a Firearm Safety Certificate ($25 test in the store, usually) in case the sale falls through and the gun has to go back to you.
Yeah I called a gun shop I’m originally from here but I’m on military orders either way
 
So if I wanted to sell my gun today I would be able to walk into a ffl and sell the gun to the shop or do a ppt? As long as I have the proof of residency and the other stuff needed
If you have a CAID or CADL with your address and walk into a store you can PPT them even if you have filed the New Resident form.
When they go to process that/those serial numbers they will just send you a notice that they can't register it to you since its been sold.
 
Maybe it’s a completely different scenario, but I didn’t have any firearms registered to my new address so I couldn’t buy ammo. I uploaded the info for 1 firearm to CFARS and got an accepted approval in hours.
 
Maybe it’s a completely different scenario, but I didn’t have any firearms registered to my new address so I couldn’t buy ammo. I uploaded the info for 1 firearm to CFARS and got an accepted approval in hours.
Yeah did it yesterday they approved it same same for at least the ones I didn’t have to sent extra pictures for
 
Do you know anything about if I wanted to sell a ar pistol lower would I first have to register it as a multi semi auto lower or would I just be able to sell it before I have to register it.
You can just sell it.... no need to register it first.
 
Back
Top Bottom