18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

Cheapest CA 2011 that normies can buy new?

If we take a staccato P and atlas athena. Both are 2011s 100%.

If you then shoot an HD P4 and a Platypus. Do these two somehow feel "that" much different just because they use glock mags? Does an HD P4 feel more like a staccato P, or more like a platypus? (Platypus is still series 70 I think, but youtube reviewers sometimes say it really doesn't feel like 2011).

I think if I close my eyes and shoot the HD P4 I would tell you it's a 2011 with a strange grip. I'll tell you that the trigger isn't as nice as the one on my Atlas Ares but it's pretty good. When I shot this this past weekend my groups were no different between the HD P4, my own WC EDC X9 or the 24C. The HD P4 was noticeably flatter shooting though.

Evan's Gun World in Orange rents out one for $20 and $25 for 50 rounds. Their range fee is $20 so it's worthwhile to rent one and find out for yourself.
 
The Atlas definitely has a lot more hand fitting and tuning than a Staccato or Platypus. The trigger is smoother with a more crisp break and reset. It’s an absolute pleasure to shoot and certainly much more refined, which you would/should expect from a $6k gun. That being said, I’ve had all good experiences owning and shooting the other guns you’ve listed out as well, and I honestly don’t have the personal skill level at this point to really take advantage of the full capability of the Atlas compared to the other ones, though I’m working on it. At the end of the day, it comes down to your own personal enjoyment. If you like the Platypus or the HD and enjoy shooting them, then that’s the only opinion that matters.
 
The Atlas definitely has a lot more hand fitting and tuning than a Staccato or Platypus. The trigger is smoother with a more crisp break and reset. It’s an absolute pleasure to shoot and certainly much more refined, which you would/should expect from a $6k gun. That being said, I’ve had all good experiences owning and shooting the other guns you’ve listed out as well, and I honestly don’t have the personal skill level at this point to really take advantage of the full capability of the Atlas compared to the other ones, though I’m working on it. At the end of the day, it comes down to your own personal enjoyment. If you like the Platypus or the HD and enjoy shooting them, then that’s the only opinion that matters.

From an ownership perspective the HD line is probably easier because

1. Mags are cheap and available and probably more reliable
2. Greater after market support in the future since the HD is going to be Staccato's main stay
3. Wide range of selection of holsters

The Ares is the nicest pistol I own but living with the HD's is probably much easier
 
From an ownership perspective the HD line is probably easier because

1. Mags are cheap and available and probably more reliable
2. Greater after market support in the future since the HD is going to be Staccato's main stay
3. Wide range of selection of holsters

The Ares is the nicest pistol I own but living with the HD's is probably much easier
Yeah it's an interesting time to be getting into the 2011 market. On the one hand I like the idea of being traditional. On the other hand, it seems like Staccato has fully embraced the glock mag thing and that this will be the way of the future.

Has a premium brand like Atlas discussed making a glock mag 2011?
 
Last edited:
The advantage of a true 2001 are the magazines. The Staccato CS mags and Glock mags do not have the max capacity of 2011 mags. a good example is the g17 mag with an extension to 140mm holds 21rds vs 24rds in an 140mm mags and 26 vs 30 in 170mm mags. The disadvantage is cost, $30-ish each vs $145 each.
 
I'm just waiting for the HD P4.5 and the Bersa M2XI to land...

Escobar Spe GIF by hero0fwar
 
I did a 300 round sesh the other day with my Les Baer 45 acp, nighthawk 9mm, and stacatto HD 3.6. Is there a diff between series 80 trigger and regular 1911 triggers. Hell yeah. The HD is still new with 800 rounds down the pipe. I feel like it has smoothened out a little. Time will tell. But I don’t really care bc the HD is a kick ass gun and of course very accurate. The only time I notice the trigger is shooting for pin point accuracy slow firing.
 
I held the new Fusion XP Comp yesterday and it definitely feels better in the hand than the non comp but that grip still leaves a lot to be desired. Didn't shoot it just ogled it at the store. Much prefer the Platypus prickle grip but I like a LOT of grip on my range guns. The staccato HD has a surprisingly small grip but I did like it. The trigger is actually excellent, even on a range gun I don't need it any lighter.
 
Staccato hd not counting as a 2011 is boomer propaganda. Get something that takes glock mags. Unless you want $100 "2011" mags or prodigy mags that have mix reviews. My vote is a steath arms. I had a prodigy it jammed like everyone says. Now have a hd4. Remember if you SSE one. Chance are it cant be in on your cww or be carried as a guard or something.
 
Last edited:
I would just SSE a Platypus over an XP
I've seen a lot of comparisons of Platypus and XP, but not a lot on Platypus vs XP Pro Comp. I think if the OP is looking for "affordable" 2011s, it seems like those are the only realistic choices (compared to Staccato). But in the comparos I've read, the Platypus wins bc there were so many issues with the original XPs.

Wonder if anyone has been able to compare a Platypus with the XP Pro Comp and if they would make the same recommendation? I shot my buddy's Pro Comp 1x but it was pretty darn smooth and had no issues, although I wasn't a fan of the grip texture.
 
Back
Top Bottom