18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

  • Welcome

    Welcome to CAguns

    Join California’s gun owner community. Create a free account to join discussions and explore member features.

Comp mag

couragewolf

Well-known member
Messages
961
So the idea behind the comp mag is that it sufficiently fulfills the requirement for a mag lock and then in combination with king pin you can easily separate your lower. Is that about right you don’t need a mag lock installed when a comp mag is seated in order to be compliant
 
leaving this here but just looked up the comp mag and realized how it secures into the rifle no thx. Comp mag screw tension locks itself into the mag well requiring tools to uninstall
 
Last edited:
I put a comp mag on my AK once because I really dislike my fin grip. After target shooting a few times with the comp mag , I ended up putting the fin grip back on. Target shooting with compliant parts can be miserable.
 
Honestly you love a pistol grips I would just go featureless so you can run "Freedom" mags, unless you can get your hands on a Ashford Armament BRS but good luck they are out of business.
 
Honestly you love a pistol grips I would just go featureless so you can run "Freedom" mags, unless you can get your hands on a Ashford Armament BRS but good luck they are out of business.
I have a few featureless setups megafin and sparrow which I like. However the time to add a pistol to the mix has arrived
 
If you can try to find one of those Ashford bolt retention system, convers the rifle to interrupted fire so you can have all yhe evil features and can shoot just as fast as a normal semi with some practice
 
I put a comp mag on my AK once because I really dislike my fin grip. After target shooting a few times with the comp mag , I ended up putting the fin grip back on. Target shooting with compliant parts can be miserable.
yup, i bought a comp mag for 5.56 and 7.62. waste of money
 
I notice the most mechanical difficulties people experience at the range involve comp mags. Functionality is key at the end of the day. With all of the available featureless options, its not that difficult to get used to it.
 
I notice the most mechanical difficulties people experience at the range involve comp mags. Functionality is key at the end of the day. With all of the available featureless options, its not that difficult to get used to it.
I really don’t like the idea of mechanical impediments but on an ar pistol it’s a necessary situation they’re pistols right?
 
They work as intended and have their place. Saved my bacon a couple of times when I was buying AR pistols and the seller (typically LE) had no fixed mag solution installed. PPT would have been rejected otherwise or as one fudd place told me I had to remove the grip.
 
leaving this here but just looked up the comp mag and realized how it secures into the rifle no thx. Comp mag screw tension locks itself into the mag well requiring tools to uninstall
Takes a few seconds to break the action and insert the little tool, no biggy.
 
So the idea behind the comp mag is that it sufficiently fulfills the requirement for a mag lock and then in combination with king pin you can easily separate your lower. Is that about right you don’t need a mag lock installed when a comp mag is seated in order to be compliant
No need to break the action, rounds are loaded directly into the mag via a spring-loaded door. Only need to break the action when removing the compmag itself.
 
Back
Top Bottom