18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

Feedback Do you think CAguns is well known?

Is the site well known?

  • Yes - everyone does

    Votes: 5 5.5%
  • No - theres still plenty of people to reach...

    Votes: 86 94.5%

  • Total voters
    91
I found calguns because I was actively searching for a forum on google. When I google “california gun forum” calguns is the top hit, but caguns is next.

I found caLguns because in its infancy, the original owner (not Nordberg) cross-posted the concept to a dozen other gun forums I frequented at the time. The general theme was a place where people in our state could collectively discuss gun stuff without some fat slob from tornado alley chiming in that "cali sucks" in every conversation. That was largely the appeal, at least for me at the time. These days, that's not so much a problem.

I found this place because of my reluctant use of reddit. I say that because I think reddit is a step backward, almost with an all-the-annoying-features-of-usenet feeling, but without the wholesomeness of classics like rec.guns which was highly moderated in its heyday.

That said, it seems to me the younger crowd appreciates the latter of those venues, reddit, over antiquated web forums. So it seems maybe the first question to promoting this place should be about the target audience. Just my two cents. Part of what makes this place nice is that it isn't bursting at its seams with posters, which I understand isn't ideal if you own the site.
 
Not much to offer here, but it would be interesting to see some actual data showing the number of active members here who came over from calguns vs those who came from some other forum vs ‘new to gun forums’ users. I suppose a fair number of non active caguns users who frequent the site, but are reluctant to create an account (lurkers) are active or former calguns users.

The guys over at 29 in AC seemed very enthusiastic about this site and getting the word out. That was encouraging to see. On a side note, I recently completed a PPT at a LGS in Amador County. The young store clerk recommended this site and indicated younger customers were finding each other on caguns. With information moving at warp speed thanks to the internet, I would expect the # of active users here to grow immensely in a short time.
 
caguns is far more streamlined than calguns. I don't mind outdated designs, but the calguns search feature can be kind of clunky to use for a lot of people.
 
late for the party and never used calguns so could not provide much comparison… however,

First, weapons like few other interests bring A-type personalities so it’s inevitable to have “looking down”, for better or for worse, it’s just a naturally

Second, evolutionary progression would dictate feature and/or knowledge rather than spreading a word and merch. There are so many ways to keep engagement active, but by the end of the day only “needs” and “wants” keep it alive. Make it about your visitors, try to gather what is valuable…

Just a thought.
 
I am very vocal about advertising the site to everyone i meet and talk about guns with, half of them have heard about calguns, almost none have heard of this one.

I think its important to mention this site to the gun dealers themselves as well as people, as they will be the ones to drive accessory sales at minimum here.
What would be helpful to @ikeo1 is for you to share what context conversation regarding this site came about… that would lead to specific feature development/improvement.
 
Sounds like you are willing to volunteer as an ambassador 😉
When I was in the Marine Corps, the acronym I heard about the Navy was “never again volunteer yourself “. 😄 But in all seriousness, I do spread the word when I attend matches or just plinking at the range. A lot of the responses I get are “is it shut down and hard to use like Calguns?” I say no, so far so good. Give it a try.
 
Last edited:
When I was in a Marine Corps, the acronym I heard about the Navy was “never again volunteer yourself “. 😄 But in all seriousness, I do spread the word when I attend matches or just plinking at the range. A lot of the responses I get are “is it shut down and hard to use like Calguns?” I say no, so far so good. Give it a try.
In USMC it’s called volonTOLD!🤣

Semper Fi
 
I talk to a lot of folks in San Diego who are part of our 2A community. Maybe two out of 10 have heard of this site. It seems like you need more representation down south. 🤔

This is where coordinating with various local gun groups (in your case SDCGO) might drive some traffic here. A section of the forum space dedicated to those groups, where they could post information, might have some two-way benefits. It's not like it hasn't been done elsewhere.
 
Print up some flyers and send them to gun ranges. I'd hang it at the range I shoot at.
If someone creates a cool flyer I'll happily print and post it at my local ranges as well. Will even hand them out to LGS.

I also have a cousin who happens to teach with Bill at Reed's. Will make sure he gets some.
 
If someone creates a cool flyer I'll happily print and post it at my local ranges as well. Will even hand them out to LGS.

I also have a cousin who happens to teach with Bill at Reed's. Will make sure he gets some.
I wonder if there are any designers in the group? I have some I'm working on... One for FFL's and one to put at FFL's.. I think with the recent changes, we can see if we can get FFL's here to help each other to navigate the laws.
 
Posters, flyers, cards - might be "old school", but they do work. With proper placement, good bang for the buck. My daughter is an artist (and a good shot!)...

I'm sure you're far ahead of most on SEO, but when "the L" was down, Google directed me to "no L", asking if I wanted to go here... been here ever since!
 
I think there a lot of folks that don’t know about caguns. I joined Calguns back in 2012. I heard about it from a friend, I think.

Would be good to have ccw instructors and gun shop owners spread the word.

CRPA or NRA let their members know about firearm related forums?

Maybe caguns pops up in google search for someone trying to buy or sell a firearm?
 
Reno endorsement for sure..
With apps they do age restricting already. Ads on those. I think this site can be built out and can benefit from being a working site at all times. Consider that having too much data could ruin the site, one day.
Target a young audience new to the sport and collecting for longevity.
Maybe work with ranges and mutual advertise.
Keep it moving..
 
Back
Top Bottom