18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

Entry Level 2011s

WilsonLover

⚠️ New Member | No Deposits ☢️
Messages
6
Howdy all.

For those of you who’ve handled and shot them all, what’s the consensus on best 2011 between Staccato HD, Platypus, Fusion Firearms, Kimber 2K11 and Springfield Prodigy?

I’d prefer Glock magazine compatibility but it’s not a complete deal breaker.

What’s your best 1st 2011?
 
The Stacatto continues to be the best in my opinion for the price. There are a ton of aftermarket companies like Atlas and Infinity that can upgrade slightly the trigger, but honestly a tuned stock trigger is great. With the options you are looking at, there are small difference that need to be assessed by you. I like thicker grips and have become accustomed to the Atlas grip with palm swell, I also love 5” 2011 for competition and not so into the more popular 4.6”, weight is also a major factor for each person. So for reliability, ease of ammo, and multipurpose firearm, go stacatto. If you want a competition gun that you’re willing to deal with potentially finicky ammo, go Fusion. I know you asked for the sub $3k guns, but if you get the itch for something special, my Atlas, Fowler, and Dark Forge are sublime to shoot.
 
Howdy all.

For those of you who’ve handled and shot them all, what’s the consensus on best 2011 between Staccato HD, Platypus, Fusion Firearms, Kimber 2K11 and Springfield Prodigy?

I’d prefer Glock magazine compatibility but it’s not a complete deal breaker.

What’s your best 1st 2011?
I would also like to know….been leaning more towards the platypus because of the grips and Glock mag compatibility.
 
Im looking to buy my first 2011. Right now its between a Sig Sauer P211 or a Kimber 2k11 comp.
 
I've had 2 so far but now down to 1 so I'm fairly new to 2011's.

My first was the Staccato P4 HD - recently sold - I really liked it and will likely buy again some time in the future but right now going with 5" 2011's.

I considered everything you listed and would still go with Prodigy or Staccato

  • Staccato - it will come out of the box as a premium and still has good aftermarket support, if you're impatient on upgrades and whatnots
  • Prodigy - the BEST aftermarket support from what I could find but will require some work and $ to get it to Staccato feel. I'm a tinkerer and want to actually learn about 2011's so this buy made sense to me. There's A LOT you can do to get it to a premium build (on par or close to Staccato) with a lower initial entry. But by that time you'll have spent Staccato (MSRP) money already. Check out the DSC Gun Works site for some ideas there.
  • The others you listed are harder to find drop-in (or close to it) upgrades and will require fitting/smithing
  • After all is said and done I can see myself with a Prodigy, Staccato HD P4, 211 GTO and a build from scratch
 
Just get an Atlas and be done… Athena. Or if you really want to kill every other gun, an Erebus.
 
I have the Staccato P4 HD and the 5” prodigy comp. The Staccato is fantastic. Probably the best 2011 I’ve ever handled. However, the Springfield is pretty damn good out of the box. I really can’t say I feel the roughly $2000 difference between the two. Sure, you can spend a bunch of money to make the prodigy “feel” like a Staccato, but in all honesty, I think it’s great right out of the box. So my vote is look hard at the Springfield prodigy. Great starting platform.
 
One advantage to the Prodigy and the Kimber is that they are true "2011s" in the sense that they can take other 2011 grip modules and trigger parts etc. They are also around 40oz each vs the Platy and Staccatto being closer to 30oz each.
 
I agree with 9mmContagion. Buy once, cry once. Go with an Athena, Titan or Apollo if you want the most out of your dollar without diminishing return.
 
The Stacatto HD,, Platypus, and Fusion XP Pro are not really true 2011 pattern pistols. The Stacatto and Fusion are modified 2011s that use quite a few proprietary parts. The Platypus is really more of a double stack 1911 and also uses some proprietary parts. A true 2011 (Prodigy, 2K11, Atlas etc) share 2011 pattern parts interchangeably.
I own 2 Atlas and have owned 2 Platypuses (still have one). Although the Platypus is a great value at around $2K with customization, there is nothing like shooting an Atlas. Hand fitted perfection!
 
Howdy all.

For those of you who’ve handled and shot them all, what’s the consensus on best 2011 between Staccato HD, Platypus, Fusion Firearms, Kimber 2K11 and Springfield Prodigy?

I’d prefer Glock magazine compatibility but it’s not a complete deal breaker.

What’s your best 1st 2011?
Of the guns you listed, I own a Staccato HD P4, a Platypus, and two Prodigies. I carry the Staccato, I use the Prodigies for USPSA, and I shoot the Platypus at the range. Both the Staccato and the Platypus have proprietary parts that have no aftermarket equivalents. If you’re going to use them for competition, you’ll have to do it without things like an extended mag release button/paddle or a true funnel-type magwell. But neither the Staccato nor the Platypus need fire control or reliability upgrades. The Prodigy, on the other hand, has many aftermarket parts available, which is good because it needs them. But once a Prodigy is properly upgraded, it’s a great gun, and you can get the best custom fit with it because of all the aftermarket options available to you.

My best advice? Wait for the Staccato HD P4.5. Otherwise, get a Platypus. It’s a full-size gun (unlike the P4), you won’t have to deal with annoying mag disconnect issues, and you won’t need to replace any parts to make it run optimally (unlike the Prodigy). You’ll just have to deal with the frustrating guide rod during disassembly. And you might have to try drilling and tapping the small mag release button on the proprietary mag catch so you can try attaching an extended mag release button if you don’t want to have to break your grip in order to perform reloads at speed.
 
Last edited:
Im looking to buy my first 2011. Right now its between a Sig Sauer P211 or a Kimber 2k11 comp.
The 2k11 is excellent. I have the full size Eclipse model and it's awesome. I've run ~1000ish rounds through it so far and experienced no issues. The gun is super accurate and it's inspired me to take my handgun shooting more seriously, I want to start doing matches/training with it.

I did also use to own a Staccato P for a small while too and while I did legitimately enjoy that gun while I had it, I'm vain and I wanted a gun that had a bit more "sauce" to it when it came to the looks. Yes, I know this is a stupid reason, but hey, it's my reason. But after shooting both it and the 2k11 I traded it for, I can honestly say I enjoy the 2k11 more.
 
Howdy all.

For those of you who’ve handled and shot them all, what’s the consensus on best 2011 between Staccato HD, Platypus, Fusion Firearms, Kimber 2K11 and Springfield Prodigy?

I’d prefer Glock magazine compatibility but it’s not a complete deal breaker.

What’s your best 1st 2011?
I consider my Spo1 a 2011 ish

But a platypus seems to be the best bang for your buck $2k for a sweet piece

Other than that is seems all other options are 3k plus
 
I recently shot a Platypus (chainlink grip) and Staccato P and really enjoyed the Staccato. I think overall, they shot similar but I didn't like the chainlink grip. Between the grip safety and chainlink, it felt like Platypus kept slipping in my hand. I'd consider the Platypus only for the prickle grip.
 

Entry Level 2011s​

Staccato HD, Platypus, Fusion Firearms, Kimber 2K11 and Springfield Prodigy
  • Staccato P4 HD - if you want Staccato quality, Glock mag compatibility, don't want to pay the markup for off-roster
  • Prodigy - if you want something that shoots ok, 5", tremendous upgradeability (over time if you like)
This is the way!
 
Back
Top Bottom