18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

  • Welcome

    Welcome to CAguns

    Join California’s gun owner community. Create a free account to join discussions and explore member features.

Fal Legalities??

MOPAR-man

Member
Messages
27
Classified ads
1
Hello i'm looking for some information on the legalities of a fal rifle. I'm sure it's just gun shop FUD But I was told that if a rifle Had the words ((FAL)) anywhere on it , not only the receiver But the barrel, bolt, stock ect... Then it was therefore illegal according To california's band by name list..... Any truth to this..thanks
 
The penal code is very specific that the ruling pertains to FN manufactured FALs :

30510. ​

As used in this chapter and in Sections 16780, 17000, 27555, 27560, 27565, 27875, 27920, 27966, and 28000, “assault weapon” means the following designated semiautomatic firearms:

(a) All of the following specified rifles:

(7) Fabrique Nationale FAL, LAR, FNC, 308 Match, and Sporter.

A Century, DSA, or other manufacturer is not named. Simply writing the letters FAL on a rifle part does not mean it was manufactured by FN. I'd say, take your business elsewhere because your shop is FUDD
 
Thanks that's what I thought.... But the part that had me hung up was that they were trying to argue that... (any part marked FAL was illegal)... Not just the receiver......thanks
 
Thanks that's what I thought.... But the part that had me hung up was that they were trying to argue that... (any part marked FAL was illegal)... Not just the receiver......thanks
Even though the shop employees are dumb, none of the parts except for the receiver of an FN FAL are actually marked with FAL anyways.
So even if you had an FN FAL parts kit and it was assembled on a DSA or any other maker's receiver besides FN, none of the parts are going to say FAL on them.
 
If you get a parts kit and are looking for someone to build it in Southern California, I do FAL builds while you wait.
 
It's a century arms receiver so I'm not sure if it'll ever run right.. just seeing what my options were. Thanks.
 
Even though the shop employees are dumb, none of the parts except for the receiver of an FN FAL are actually marked with FAL anyways.

Shortly after roberti/roos, and way before SB23, I called CADOJ and asked for a paper copy of their assault weapon guide I saw during an encounter with a BLM guy. I still have it somewhere but the main point which is emphasized in that booklet is that if the markings on the receiver don't match exactly as shown, the gun isn't an AW and no further action is necessary.

I highlighted that section of it and it went with me on every shooting trip with me from that point forward.
 
Shortly after roberti/roos, and way before SB23, I called CADOJ and asked for a paper copy of their assault weapon guide I saw during an encounter with a BLM guy. I still have it somewhere but the main point which is emphasized in that booklet is that if the markings on the receiver don't match exactly as shown, the gun isn't an AW and no further action is necessary.

I highlighted that section of it and it went with me on every shooting trip with me from that point forward.
That's good information....thanks
 
Back
Top Bottom