18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

  • Welcome

    Welcome to CAguns

    Join California’s gun owner community. Create a free account to join discussions and explore member features.

FFL03 and COE 3 in 30 Rule Exemption? Seems like no one knows if it's yes or no!

1. "My supervisor told me that this is for C&R guns only" - Sacramento Gun Range
2. "I read the law as you are exempt just for C&R guns." - Sacramento Gun Range, superviser
3. "I was on a training and DOJ contact person told me to not accept FFL03+COE, I'm not going to jeopardize my business" - few other stores including Sacramento Gun Range

It's a private businesses, they put whatever rules they want and you either take it or leave. It's a waste of time to argue with them.
- Some don't transfer semi-auto AR pistols
- Some don't transfer Glocks
- Some don't transfer Vepr shotguns

Therefore I always call a store and ask will they make a PPT of a maker/model gun in advance. If they say no, I call another store.
That's interesting, especially the claim that someone at DOJ instructed dealers not to recognize the FFL-03 + COE exemption. I'd really like to know what DOJ actually said, because PC 27535 doesn't limit that exemption to C&R firearms.

Again they may have a stronger case with New sales but for PPT's I disagree that private businesses can simply establish whatever rules they want. CA law specifically requires licensed dealers to process lawful PPTs, and failure to do so is an identified dealer violation.

If a dealer is refusing a PPT solely because the buyer is invoking a valid FFL-03 + COE exemption, I'd suggest documenting the refusal and requesting clarification from DOJ.

Xfers are a different matter. I believe they are treated like new purchases and can be refused, but I would still try to capture in writing the reason.
 
They probably refuse to accept the law
It seemed like they did not know how to enter it in the DROS. They processed it without my FFL03/COE then it came back not approved due to 3 in 30. I said run it agian with inputting the FFL03 & COE this time, they refused to process it again. The manager said "I deal with the DOJ all the time and I'm 1000% sure you're not exempt" - clown
 
One time my transaction had a trainee with someone else training her, they have several pages of printouts they just follow. So not surprised if management is clueless about this exemption, then it wouldn't be in their training manual. They follow Exactly what their training manual tells them to do.
 
So it's not just CA lawmakers who make things hard for us, but also the gun store owners themselves. These jokes write themselves....
 
So it's not just CA lawmakers who make things hard for us, but also the gun store owners themselves. These jokes write themselves....
Wish it was funny. A lot of these gun store owners are scared of losing their licenses or large fines, etc. It's the same tactic the state uses for compliance in AB1263 and other gun laws, the threat of civil or criminal action with unlimited resources coming after you is enough for the majority to fold. I don't think they are intentionally trying to make things hard for us, they are in a tough spot with elected officials, gun-control advocacy groups, journalists etc. all looking for a scapegoat. It's a tough environment to do business in and I appreciate those who are toughing it out.
 
Last edited:
Glaser Arms knows the exemption. Most gun stores are happy to deny PPTs any way they can.
 
Any know definitively, if COE and FFL03 exempts you from 3 in 30 for MODERN handguns as well as curio? Went to Sac Gun Range today and they said it does not. Other places say it does. Google and Chatgpt say it does, for whatever that's worth. Contacted Cal DOJ, waiting to hear back.
There is a dros bulletin that starts ffl - 03 + cor is exempt from 3 in 30
 
Back
Top Bottom