18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

"Fixing" an adjustable stock

Messages
36
This question came up in another thread offhand and I didn't want to hijack that thread.

Question came up over whether or not using an adjustable stock, modified in a way that no longer allows it to be adjusted meets the definition of fixed stock (to meet featureless requirements).

I can see how physically modifying the adjustable stock with some sort of pin that couldn't be removed without the use of a tool would meet this criteria. But how about something like the Strike Industries Stock Stop? Basically a rubber strip installed on the buffer tube to essentially "fix" the adjustable stock into a single position. With some stocks, you can remove it from the buffer without a tool, and could easily pull out the Stock Stop.

Curious to hear thoughts/interpretations out there.
 
This question came up in another thread offhand and I didn't want to hijack that thread.

Question came up over whether or not using an adjustable stock, modified in a way that no longer allows it to be adjusted meets the definition of fixed stock (to meet featureless requirements).

I can see how physically modifying the adjustable stock with some sort of pin that couldn't be removed without the use of a tool would meet this criteria. But how about something like the Strike Industries Stock Stop? Basically a rubber strip installed on the buffer tube to essentially "fix" the adjustable stock into a single position. With some stocks, you can remove it from the buffer without a tool, and could easily pull out the Stock Stop.

Curious to hear thoughts/interpretations out there.

It’s fixed isn’t it? Stock does not collapse while installed. For buffer tubes, strike industries stock stop is custom cut to cater to the individuals LOP.

In order to become collapsible, the stock would need to be physically removed, for access to remove the two pieces rubber. It would no longer be fixed after that.

As long as it is not removed, the stock is fixed.

Strike industries stock stop does not damage the value of the firearm since it does use any set screws or pins.
 
It’s fixed isn’t it? Stock does not collapse while installed. For buffer tubes, strike industries stock stop is custom cut to cater to the individuals LOP.

In order to become collapsible, the stock would need to be physically removed, for access to remove the two pieces rubber. It would no longer be fixed after that.

As long as it is not removed, the stock is fixed.

Strike industries stock stop does not damage the value of the firearm since it does use any set screws or pins.
This is basically my line of thinking too. I had an RSO look at one of my ARs with the Stock Stop installed, tried to adjust it and it had a little play but did it's job, he cocked an eyebrow but didn't end up saying anything about it.

I've seen some people argue that a fixed stock means fixed stock, and not an adjustable one modified to be fixed. But if it meets the requirements then I would think it's good.
 
I've seen some people argue that a fixed stock means fixed stock, and not an adjustable one modified to be fixed. But if it meets the requirements then I would think it's good.
Huh?

My factory Magpul stock on my CZ Scorpion 3+ came from the Magpul factory as an adjustable and was pinned somewhere along the line. Whether it was CZ, Magpul or Turners, someone pinned it and it was purchased legally.

I would assume most of these companies manufacturing stocks that are California legal are just finding ways to pin their current non California stocks and not producing a specific California pinned stock. On the Scorpion, there's a pin/spring installed behind one of the screws that hold the recoil pad on. Remove the pin and it can be sold as adjustable elsewhere.

I would agree that as long as it meets the requirements, that's all that matters.
 
I have used those rubber ducky stop stoppers for years. With vague laws it's still legal.

Democrat politicians don't write logic into their laws. Therefore, work arounds usually are ok.
 
This is basically my line of thinking too. I had an RSO look at one of my ARs with the Stock Stop installed, tried to adjust it and it had a little play but did it's job, he cocked an eyebrow but didn't end up saying anything about it.

I've seen some people argue that a fixed stock means fixed stock, and not an adjustable one modified to be fixed. But if it meets the requirements then I would think it's good.
If an RSO checked my stock , I would tell that FUDD to go F himself and never shoot at that range again.

I like the Action Range at the RRGC. There is a FUDD RO at the RRGC public range who tells me I can’t do simple drills . Every time I challenge him with the Senior RO , he loses. He checked my competition mags once and started to say something and I told him to piss off. He should be the president of an HOA.

I hate public ranges.
 
Huh?

My factory Magpul stock on my CZ Scorpion 3+ came from the Magpul factory as an adjustable and was pinned somewhere along the line. Whether it was CZ, Magpul or Turners, someone pinned it and it was purchased legally.

I would assume most of these companies manufacturing stocks that are California legal are just finding ways to pin their current non California stocks and not producing a specific California pinned stock. On the Scorpion, there's a pin/spring installed behind one of the screws that hold the recoil pad on. Remove the pin and it can be sold as adjustable elsewhere.

I would agree that as long as it meets the requirements, that's all that matters.
To be clear, I'm saying that I've seen some people argue that to fully meet the featureless criteria for a fixed stock, an actual fixed stock needs to be installed. B5 Systems Magpul, etc etc make fixed stocks.

But I agree with you - if it's adjustable and then fixed into position in a way that doesn't allow for adjustment on the fly like in your case, it should be good to go.
 
If an RSO checked my stock , I would tell that FUDD to go F himself and never shoot at that range again.

I like the Action Range at the RRGC. There is a FUDD RO at the RRGC public range who tells me I can’t do simple drills . Every time I challenge him with the Senior RO , he loses. He checked my competition mags once and started to say something and I told him to piss off. He should be the president of an HOA.

I hate public ranges.
Sometimes you don't have a choice, lol. Options are limited for outdoor ranges in my area. It doesn't make sense to drive 1+ hrs to better options.

In the moment I didn't mind it. RSOs are gonna do what they're gonna do, and in many cases I'm sure their interventions have kept less experienced people safe. He wasn't rude about it or anything like that, so I didn't feel any sort of way about it.
 
For what its worth, Burro Canyon in Azusa is like the wild west as far as RSO's are concerned... even the older RSO that always reads the book at the 200 yard line says its not his business what people bring as long as they're safe.
 
I eliminated my adjustable, side swing stock on my Ruger LC Carbine, 45 Auto with a solid stock from Midway, it was an easy conversion.
 

Attachments

  • 1.webp
    1.webp
    60.2 KB · Views: 8
This question came up in another thread offhand and I didn't want to hijack that thread.

Question came up over whether or not using an adjustable stock, modified in a way that no longer allows it to be adjusted meets the definition of fixed stock (to meet featureless requirements).

I can see how physically modifying the adjustable stock with some sort of pin that couldn't be removed without the use of a tool would meet this criteria. But how about something like the Strike Industries Stock Stop? Basically a rubber strip installed on the buffer tube to essentially "fix" the adjustable stock into a single position. With some stocks, you can remove it from the buffer without a tool, and could easily pull out the Stock Stop.

Curious to hear thoughts/interpretations out there pinning or plugging is fine. The statute doesn’t mention tools being required, so why impose additional rules upon yourself that the state hasn’t already imposed. If you have to completely remove the stock to adjust it, it’s no longer adjustable. This is no different than the folding stock on my Kriss vector made CA legal by pinning the brace so it can no longer fold. Of the stock is removed, the pin can be taken out by hand and its foldable again. Don’t overthink this stuff gents. They are already infringing more than enough on our rights. Don’t add extra infringement voluntarily because they are ambiguous with their wording.
 
This question came up in another thread offhand and I didn't want to hijack that thread.

Question came up over whether or not using an adjustable stock, modified in a way that no longer allows it to be adjusted meets the definition of fixed stock (to meet featureless requirements).

I can see how physically modifying the adjustable stock with some sort of pin that couldn't be removed without the use of a tool would meet this criteria. But how about something like the Strike Industries Stock Stop? Basically a rubber strip installed on the buffer tube to essentially "fix" the adjustable stock into a single position. With some stocks, you can remove it from the buffer without a tool, and could easily pull out the Stock Stop.

Curious to hear thoughts/interpretations out there.
If you have a 3d printer, you can make your own stock stops. It takes about 5 minutes to print it.
 
For what its worth, Burro Canyon in Azusa is like the wild west as far as RSO's are concerned... even the older RSO that always reads the book at the 200 yard line says its not his business what people bring as long as they're safe.
My standard statement at the clubs I RO for: “I am not a lawyer, I am not an LEO, it is none of my business how you configure your rifle”.
 
I use Bcm stocks. You can take them apart and reassemble with the spring on top of the pin that interfaces with the extension. It locks the stock with no permanent mods
 
Sometimes you don't have a choice, lol. Options are limited for outdoor ranges in my area. It doesn't make sense to drive 1+ hrs to better options.

In the moment I didn't mind it. RSOs are gonna do what they're gonna do, and in many cases I'm sure their interventions have kept less experienced people safe. He wasn't rude about it or anything like that, so I didn't feel any sort of way about it.
What was his reasoning for checking your stock like that?
 
Back
Top Bottom