18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

  • Welcome

    Welcome to CAguns

    Join California’s gun owner community. Create a free account to join discussions and explore member features.

Question Frame or slide doesn’t have laser engraved serial; only the barrel. What if I want a cerakote job?

2muchsoysauce4allthisrice

Moderator
Staff member
CAguns Supporter
Calguns Verified
📝 Contributor
2025 100+ 4 Mostest
Messages
1,383
Classified ads
4
Hey folks,

Hope your day is going well.

Just wanted to ask about the GsG 1911 .22lr California model handgun. The serial number on the frame isn’t laser engraved from the factory. It’s just painted on; same with the slide. The only engraved portion is on the barrel; the barrel is easily removable and separated from frame and slide? Supposedly, based on YouTube and forums, the paint job from the factory is some kind of spray paint or cheap coating; it’s pretty easy to nick, chip, or scratch off. What if I wanted to cerakote the gun for a more durable finish? It’s not like I’m defacing or scratching off an engraved serial number on the frame or reciever which would be a felony. It’s only painted on? I wouldn’t want to do the blocking off with a tape for the cerakote job because then I still have some of the cheap factory paint on there; and cheap factory painted serial number? I rubbed my fingers and fingernails over it to make sure it’s not engraved?

What if the cerakote guy offers laser engraving too? Could I just ask them to laser engrave the serial number on the frame prior to cerakoting?

I will include a sample photo from internet to help.
IMG_3657.jpeg
 
Last edited:
I thought the SN had to be engraved per ATF rules. No ?

You certainly cannot remove it.
 
I thought the SN had to be engraved per ATF rules. No ?

You certainly cannot remove it.
Based on the feel of the serial number on the frame, if the frame was cerakoted, I’m assuming the new cerakote would definitely cover it up without leaving a hint. There is no texture to the serial number on the frame; only the barrel. However, my only limited experience with cerakote is I have only had a rifle scope cerakoted before; so that’s how I know about the tape method if I want to keep non-textured logos from being cerakoted over. But then you have a rectangle showing that’s not cerakoted….
 
Have someone laser the serial inside the grips area.
Not sure if the serial has the be at a specific spot?
 
Have someone laser the serial inside the grips area.
Not sure if the serial has the be at a specific spot?
I would need to remove the grips to see the serial number then right? For example, worst case scenario if I was pulled over; Leo would need a flat head screwdriver to remove the grip?

I checked under the grips; no engraved or etched serial numbers under there either.

What about engraving over the area of the frame where it FEELs like there is no texture for the serial number? It already looks painted on. I might be wrong but my finger tips and finger nails are not feeling anything.
 
Last edited:
idk those gsg can be had for like 300ish when on sale. i wouldnt even cerakote it. if the paint really bothers you and you like the pistol just retire it and get a new one. Not worth the cerakote job
 
I think you are mistaken an there is more to it than just paint. I have one in the shop and will check it out if I remember today.
 
idk those gsg can be had for like 300ish when on sale. i wouldnt even cerakote it. if the paint really bothers you and you like the pistol just retire it and get a new one. Not worth the cerakote job
Yeh, that makes sense. The cerakote job would probably be around the $200 range already. Might as well put it towards a new gun?
 
I would suggest that you leave a rectangle uncoated containing the painted SN on the receiver. Strictly by the rules, the ATF does not want you to obliterate and re-engrave.

This gun has a really thick coating, so a similar solution:

 
Back
Top Bottom