- Messages
- 139
My Glock 25 build started when I was trying to get a pistol for new/less experienced shooters that tend to be put off by the recoil of 9mm. I found people really enjoy shooting the Buck Mark 22, but then quickly get intimidated by a Glock 17 or the SP-01. I noticed they seem to do OK with a 686 shooting 38 special, as it fits somewhere between the 22 and the 9 in terms of felt recoil.
I saw some videos of the S&W EZ 380 and really liked the concept of a recoil operated 380, the EZ also have lower slide rack tension making it even easier. This seemed like a great option to step up from 22 and go to 9 at some point. In another thread this whole saga started as it doesn't seem like the EZ 380 will ever come to CA and you can't get any PPT for it in the state.
Then I noticed that at some point Glock introduced the Glock 25 in the US for a brief period, again us sobs in CA couldn't get it. The G25 is a G19 that chambered in 380 ACP. Fortunately the Glock Store were selling the G25 slide with barrel etc. Pricey, but I was motivated to get this project done. The G25 slide runs perfectly on a G19 gen 3 frame. Unfortunately due to the stupid CA laws the Glock Store can't ship the G25 magazines, which are 15 rds. So they ship G19 10rd mags with it. The G25 mags are a bit different for the shorter cartridge. While the G19 mags work with the 380 cartridges in the G25, it proved to be not so reliable.
This then led to the next pahse to find 10rd G25 mags. With the help of folks on this forum I was able to find a store that sells these mags. Country Spirit was the store I found through the thread on mags mentioned, a pretty good resource to find blocked mags and parts for us in CA. Got the G25 mags from them.
Tested the G25 out again and it ran perfectly with the proper G25 mags. The operation feels exactly the same as a G19, but the recoil is significantly less. Feels more like a 38 special out of heavy revolver. A great stepping stone between 22 and 9 it seems. The G25 definitely is an easy shooter, and when shooting back to back with my G17 the difference is very apparent. (Not that a G17 recoils much TBH)
It may be an option for others that is looking for a pistol that have recoil around halfway between 22 and 9, especially if you already have a g19 gen 3. I will still keep an eye out for the EZ380, but the G25 build seems like it will be a good solution at this time.
I saw some videos of the S&W EZ 380 and really liked the concept of a recoil operated 380, the EZ also have lower slide rack tension making it even easier. This seemed like a great option to step up from 22 and go to 9 at some point. In another thread this whole saga started as it doesn't seem like the EZ 380 will ever come to CA and you can't get any PPT for it in the state.
Then I noticed that at some point Glock introduced the Glock 25 in the US for a brief period, again us sobs in CA couldn't get it. The G25 is a G19 that chambered in 380 ACP. Fortunately the Glock Store were selling the G25 slide with barrel etc. Pricey, but I was motivated to get this project done. The G25 slide runs perfectly on a G19 gen 3 frame. Unfortunately due to the stupid CA laws the Glock Store can't ship the G25 magazines, which are 15 rds. So they ship G19 10rd mags with it. The G25 mags are a bit different for the shorter cartridge. While the G19 mags work with the 380 cartridges in the G25, it proved to be not so reliable.
This then led to the next pahse to find 10rd G25 mags. With the help of folks on this forum I was able to find a store that sells these mags. Country Spirit was the store I found through the thread on mags mentioned, a pretty good resource to find blocked mags and parts for us in CA. Got the G25 mags from them.
Tested the G25 out again and it ran perfectly with the proper G25 mags. The operation feels exactly the same as a G19, but the recoil is significantly less. Feels more like a 38 special out of heavy revolver. A great stepping stone between 22 and 9 it seems. The G25 definitely is an easy shooter, and when shooting back to back with my G17 the difference is very apparent. (Not that a G17 recoils much TBH)
It may be an option for others that is looking for a pistol that have recoil around halfway between 22 and 9, especially if you already have a g19 gen 3. I will still keep an eye out for the EZ380, but the G25 build seems like it will be a good solution at this time.