18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

Gunsmith recommendation for Smith & Wesson in the Bay Area?

TheAverageShooter

Active member
Messages
139
I have a model 27 that needs some attention that is beyond my skill and tool level. Any recommendation in the Bay Area for a good gunsmith with Smith & Wesson revolver experience?
 
Try Hank at Reeds in Santa Clara. Call Reeds ahead of time to see if he is working.
 
What needs doing ?
Looks like maybe the extractor is slightly bend, causing the cylinder to contact the forcing cone after a few shots on certain cylinder areas. This impacts the rotation of the cylinder and double action, aa well as cocking getting sticky.
 
Looks like maybe the extractor is slightly bend, causing the cylinder to contact the forcing cone after a few shots on certain cylinder areas. This impacts the rotation of the cylinder and double action, aa well as 🐓ing getting sticky.
The crane is the parts that the cylinder sits on.
The crane pivots to let the cylinder open and close.
The extractor sits in the rear of the cylinder.
The extractor rod runs through the middle of the crane and the cylinder and is the rod you actuate to push the extractor out.
Debris under the extractor star can cause the extractor to sit proud which will push the cylinder forward.
Since you say that it only hits on one side, something may indeed be bent if you have already eliminated a simple debris problem.
Fixing bent stuff this starts with confirming the alignment of the crane in the frame.
Then you add the cylinder and then the extractor and extractor rod.
Spinning the cylinder with the crane open will show you if the extractor rod is bent.
A bent extractor rod causes the crane to open/close slightly at the front as the cylinder rotates.
All of this stuff needs to be straight/true for the gun to work perfectly.
 
Thanks for the explanation AR15barrels. I will check it again to verify, but that is what I di by spinning the cylinder with the crane open and noticed a slight wobble. The challenge I have is that I don't have the tools to properly measure or adjust any misalignment/bend. I also learned quickly that spare parts in this area needs to be fitted by an experienced gunsmith. I have a spare extractor, cylinder, etc that is pretty much useless to me 😁
 
Thanks for the explanation AR15barrels. I will check it again to verify, but that is what I di by spinning the cylinder with the crane open and noticed a slight wobble. The challenge I have is that I don't have the tools to properly measure or adjust any misalignment/bend. I also learned quickly that spare parts in this area needs to be fitted by an experienced gunsmith. I have a spare extractor, cylinder, etc that is pretty much useless to me 😁
This is simple work for a smith that is equipped and experienced, but I would not recommend trying it yourself.
 
Back
Top Bottom