18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

  • Welcome

    Welcome to CAguns

    Join California’s gun owner community. Create a free account to join discussions and explore member features.

ID requirements for a rifle

Negol

Well-known member
Messages
342
Sorry wasn't sure where to put this. I haven't purchased a firearm in like 8-9 years. I only have a non real id drivers license and firearms safety certificate. What's required to buy a rifle and a pistol now? My room mate has the other utilities in her name so I don't really have anything like cable or gas bills to prove residenecy i do haved a guard card which has address on it if that counts. Any thoughts on what i'm gonna need to do a dros on a rifle and 1 hand gun later on?
 
If your guard card is valid and is the current address where you live,

That + passport/birth certificate

And you may need to take the firearm safety certificate test at the store if you don’t have the exposed weapons permit.
 
You can get a fishing license and that will suffice for a 2nd proof of residence. I believe that you will need your passport for your rifle if its a non real id and you will need a second proof or residency regardless for pistols.
 
Last edited:
Since non real ID, you'll need to bring either birth certificate, passport, or passport card. That plus FSC (firearms safety certificate) will suffice for a long gun, assuming your ID has your correct address on it.

For a handgun, you'll need to provide one proof of residency as well. So car registration, utility bill, lease agreement, fishing license, or guard card, in addition to the documents listed above for a long gun.
 
Thanks I think I used my guard card last time I purchased a pistol but I wasn't sure been a long time. Appreciate the responses.
 
Get the Real ID. I didn't have it and it became a major PITA to have to carry all those documents, even to just purchase ammo.

You know those days where you just find yourself in a LGS and find something to buy?
 
I use my illegal alien California driver's license. It also comes with extra bennies here. Cops usually won't write traffic tickets because illegal aliens don't pay them. I'll never get a real ID because it's a PITA and I will never need it.

I also have my Federal ID, it's called a passport. Everyone should have one. You never know when you "have to get the hell out of Dodge" ~ Bat Masterson.
 
I looked into the real id seems they want residency proof too. I guess I'll look into swapping some of the bills into my name. I'll grab a fishing license and use that and my guard card for now I guess.
 
Back
Top Bottom