- Messages
- 184
Or VTSAX.VOO go up. VOO goes down, buy extra VOO.
That’s it. That’s the plan. Invest regularly and often in an index fund, and buy more if possible during a market downturn.
By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.
Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.
Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.
Or VTSAX.VOO go up. VOO goes down, buy extra VOO.
That’s it. That’s the plan. Invest regularly and often in an index fund, and buy more if possible during a market downturn.
Then why have virtually all central banks been buying it as if there’s an apocalypse coming, for the past 10+ years? Why have central / reserve banks ALWAYS hoarded gold? Central / reserve bank buying of gold has drastically increased over the past 10+ years.I think the gold money has already been made.
You have to save hard (Dave Ramsey can help you with how to do that). Do a career/trade that pays well and choose wisely where you live. Wells cost money no doubt. Yes, there is property tax and other expenses but that is part of your budget planning. Raw land in my mind is what helps if the world/stock markets go sideways. You have what you need to live. Learning to do it yourself will save you a ton of money and most of it isn’t that hard to do once you learn. In my 20s I was poor. Studied hard and worked hard so in my early 30s I could buy my first home. It was tough but doable. Now in my late 50s, I don’t worry so much about any of this. It gets much easier if you do things right and get a career that pays well. My 20s-40s were a lot of hustle and working two jobs. It’s paid off. Now, I know plenty of folks who took lost of nice vacations, owned the latest electronics, etc. They will be working much longer. It felt impossible when I was young but if you budget well and keep at it, it will happen.Please help me understand;
In theory I agree that land is one of the best investments one can make. It is cliche but objectively true that “they aren’t making any more of it.”
Additionally; look at how many people have become extremely wealthy specifically because of real estate, and/or how many very wealthy people absolutely park a lot of cash into real estate to safeguard their wealth.
That said; for someone who isn’t already wealthy; how DO you - on a very practical, nitty-gritty, daily basis; how DO You afford land?
I’m not talking commercial nor residential real estate; that’s obvious. They (should) cash flow or could be made to with some work & investment.
But raw land as you refer to where you can hunt, grow food, etc; how do you bear the costs of property taxes - which can be very significant - as well as handle maintenance & upkeep costs?
Stuff as basic as fencing; you need to either do the work yourself - and buy materials, which isn’t cheap - or pay someone to do it for you.
I’m sure there are all sorts of other costs associated with raw land that I’ve forgotten about; various permits & junk.
Oh; wells…. Where do you get water? How do you pay for that? Wells are not cheap to drill nor maintain.
Can you please help enlighten me on this?
I’ve always wondered about it.![]()