18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

Is it legal to convert a glock in California?

GroypJoy

⚠️ New Member | No Deposits ☢️
Messages
12
Thinking of buying a 40 cal to 9mm conversion kit for my Glock 23. This is my edc.
Is that legal in CA?
 
Thinking of buying a 40 cal to 9mm conversion kit for my Glock 23. This is my edc.
Is that legal in CA?
Yes - though if it's a CCW gun just check with your IA on specifics. They may need it to be in the same config as your permit. It's entirely up to the agency if they'll accept it for CCW even if technically legal to do.
 
Completely legal. However, since carry is a privilege in California, IA will decide if you can keep carrying it.
 
Yes - though if it's a CCW gun just check with your IA on specifics. They may need it to be in the same config as your permit. It's entirely up to the agency if they'll accept it for CCW even if technically legal to do.
Actually when I was still in CA, Sac Sheriff worked with me to have my Gen 4 Glock 23 listed as .40/9mm (using my conversion barrel) and it only took up a single spot on the firearms listed on the permit.

Not sure they will all do that for you, but I know that’s how I had mine set up.
 
My first CCW had a P229 (1997) in .40 on it. I asked about a conversion barrel and they said it would be counted as 2 of the 3 on my permit if I got a Barstow barrel. That pistol is off the permit. Still on the fence about a replacement barrel
 
Just spoke to my gunstore about it, and they told me it would be considered modified if I ever needed to use it in the world and ended up shooting somebody. Its legal to do, but they highly recommended against doing it with my ccw as I would immediately lose in court no matter the situation. Said it would simply turn that gun into a range gun only. Im gonna take their advise and just buy a g26.
 
Just spoke to my gunstore about it, and they told me it would be considered modified if I ever needed to use it in the world and ended up shooting somebody. Its legal to do, but they highly recommended against doing it with my ccw as I would immediately lose in court no matter the situation. Said it would simply turn that gun into a range gun only. Im gonna take their advise and just buy a g26.

Legality issues of carrying a modified CCW gun aside, a proper conversion isn't just a simple barrel swap either, but also requires a new trigger housing, ejector, extractor, recoil spring, firing pin... For the cost of everything you might as well just buy a new gun.
 
Legality issues of carrying a modified CCW gun aside, a proper conversion isn't just a simple barrel swap either, but also requires a new trigger housing, ejector, extractor, recoil spring, firing pin... For the cost of everything you might as well just buy a new gun.
Thats not what Lenny says. Check out this vid.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" referrerpolicy="strict-origin-when-cross-origin" allowfullscreen></iframe>
 
Thats not what Lenny says. Check out this vid.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" referrerpolicy="strict-origin-when-cross-origin" allowfullscreen></iframe>

You are misunderstanding what I'm saying. Yes you can technically just drop a barrel into a 23 and shoot 9mm, but doing it that way can lead to a number of issues because it isn't a proper 1:1 conversion. From Glock's factory manuals, every part I listed is different from the .40 to 9mm models, so if we're talking about a gun you're expecting to trust your life to, it's in your best interests to do things the right way, or just save yourself the trouble entirely and buy another gun.

As for what Lenny says, let's just say Glockstore has a pretty well-known reputation, and leave it at that.
 
You are misunderstanding what I'm saying. Yes you can technically just drop a barrel into a 23 and shoot 9mm, but doing it that way can lead to a number of issues because it isn't a proper 1:1 conversion. From Glock's factory manuals, every part I listed is different from the .40 to 9mm models, so if we're talking about a gun you're expecting to trust your life to, it's in your best interests to do things the right way, or just save yourself the trouble entirely and buy another gun.

As for what Lenny says, let's just say Glockstore has a pretty well-known reputation, and leave it at that.
Understood. He’s a good salesman Ill give him that.
 
As others have said, check with your IA if you’re going to use it for EDC.

EDC aside, I was contemplating whether to buy a complete G19 slide assembly for my G23 or opt for a new G19. I went with the latter and now have two HD weapons for my wife and I to use.
 
As others have said, check with your IA if you’re going to use it for EDC.

EDC aside, I was contemplating whether to buy a complete G19 slide assembly for my G23 or opt for a new G19. I went with the latter and now have two HD weapons for my wife and I to use.
Sounds like you made the smart/right move. I think Im going g26 for an easier EDC.
 
“as I would immediately lose in court no matter the situation.”
Ask them how many cases they have taken to trial, where they earned their law degree, and in which particular field of law they specialize in.

As others have posted, the Issuing Agency is the entity to be concerned with. Gun shops should stick to selling guns. About the only aspect of the law they should mention is how to properly fill out a 4473.

Being it’s about lunchtime, has anyone been to Fudruckers?….sounds like a place where gun shop counterfools go for lunch.
 
Thats not what Lenny says. Check out this vid.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" referrerpolicy="strict-origin-when-cross-origin" allowfullscreen></iframe>
I have no experience with GS barrels, but I have a lot of rounds through a Lone Wolf 9mm conversion barrel for my G22. Been super reliable. Since I have a lot of rounds to prove it works, I’d use it for self defense purposes.

However, I wouldn’t just trust any Lone Wolf barrel. I’d have to prove the one I have in my hand works before trusting it. Stock Glock barrels, I’d trust pretty much out of the box.
 
Our IA says no non OEM mods. So… a Glock extended mag release is fine , but not an aftermarket one. It can’t deviate from manufacturer specs. If the manufacturer makes something like a Glock Performance Trigger, that’s fine .
I converted my P365 to an XL with no issues. I asked in writing first.
Never take legal advice from gun store employees.

Write an email to your IA and ask.
 
Just spoke to my gunstore about it, and they told me it would be considered modified if I ever needed to use it in the world and ended up shooting somebody. Its legal to do, but they highly recommended against doing it with my ccw as I would immediately lose in court no matter the situation. Said it would simply turn that gun into a range gun only. Im gonna take their advise and just buy a g26.
LOL. You need to name this gunstore so we can add them into the FUD hall of fame. Classic gun shop nonsense. I just bought Glock 26 before the excise tax hit and just swap the frame on my Glock 27 CCW gun so I don't have to mess with the serial number. Still haven't shot it yet.
 
Just spoke to my gunstore about it, and they told me it would be considered modified if I ever needed to use it in the world and ended up shooting somebody. Its legal to do, but they highly recommended against doing it with my ccw as I would immediately lose in court no matter the situation. Said it would simply turn that gun into a range gun only. Im gonna take their advise and just buy a g26.
Find a new gunstore.
 
Conversion barrels will work 99% of the time. It is built specifically to convert one larger caliber to another smaller one. However, the breach face between different caliber is different, thus unless you replace the slide, the round will not fit perfectly in the breach face. However, the barrel tang on the conversion barrel will lock up correctly in the breach face, thus the barrel is fit correctly and allow the round to sit correctly for function as the round will be held centered by the barrel chamber.

The extractor will work 98% of the time, it may or may not grab the rim correctly. It is not as critical as the gun will cycle and eject even without the extractor, just not reliably. Ejector will typically work 99% of the time but the ejecting position is typically different.

No gun manufacturer will admit parts are interchangeable between different models for liability and sales reason. I have heard that certain well known manufacturer's slides are basically the same between 9mm and 40. Only differences is the extractor, and barrel.

In the society we live in, CCW weapon should be OEM or expect legal complication when defending a shooting. Conversion barrel is really used for cost saving practice purpose. Believe 9mm is still cheaper than 40.
 
Back
Top Bottom