Generally there are good reasons why some products confer status, and this is usually related to their quality. I don't care about designer clothing, but if they were cheap, ugly, and fell apart right away their status would suffer.
Gucci made quality saddles and leather bags initially for Italy's elite horsemen, and they have a long and storied history. Ferrari won a boatload of races coming up and have world class design and limited production/buyer exclusivity. Rolex and Rolls-Royce are synonymous with high-end quality. These are all status symbols...for very good reason.
It's one thing to own a high-end gun and generally they do have the looks, comfort, and performance to back up their reputations, but that's no replacement for training or an attitude of self-improvement. If I'm a rookie with a high-end tool I'm still a rookie.
I generally buy top-level products for any new system and they do make a difference, from quality tools to curated car tech and guns too.
My CZ TS2 Orange is not just a status symbol, it's a status symbol because it's a damned good gun, proven time and again like the Shadow 2 series. It's also a joy to shoot and it's the gun with which I'm most accurate.
My philosophy is to buy once, cry once and then grow into that high-end product, enjoying it all the while.