18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

  • Welcome

    Welcome to CAguns

    Join California’s gun owner community. Create a free account to join discussions and explore member features.

Is this load too hot?

It seems a little over the top when you can just look this stuff up, but the reality is anyone publishing those books has a little heavier legal liability so the loads they list as safe are certain.

Additionally you can use them as a baseline to compare to what you're seeing elsewhere and give yourself a little leverage when you need it. I have a few different brands books and I usually index between their safe loads to start my ladders in a range I've done the math on to feel good about chamber pressures.

That's mostly with rifle though I never see the value in running pistols hot unless you're having some kind of weird cycling failures or something.
 
Things to consider:
Fresh brass is better for Hot loads
.40 chronos high end is 1300-1400fps
How hard is it to replace that Glock in .40

I'd be less worried about the barrel vs. distorting or blowing up the frame/slide.
Exactly, you are beating the crap out of your frame.
 
Exactly, you are beating the crap out of your frame.
I've replied to an ea
I have the athlon and it works great, much easier to set up and use than that old school style
Bit late for an update but I used a 4.5gr load and a new chronograph
I think I can safely conclude it was originally a chrono error
 

Attachments

  • 1000018798.jpg
    1000018798.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 1
Back
Top Bottom