18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

Legal Law Tactical Folder On AR Pistol

Is it?

OCGunCollector

Member+
2A
Messages
27
Hi,
I recently purchased an AR pistol (semi auto). I have looked around and found some info on this topic but the waters are a bit muddy. The question is can I have a AR pistol with a law tactical folder with a brace? If so what is the overall length requirement if any? If I do have to meet the under 26” requirement does that mean I measure from the end of the stock (folded or un folded) to the end of the barrel threads? I would like to hear from anyone on this. I know we are all not lawyers here so I will take any advice knowing it is only your personal opinion.
Thank you all.
 
When the folder is closed it is 27 1/2 “
So we only measure when folded because that is the shortest firing configuration?
 
Aow isn't other. Those are different things. You measure from the shortest possible firing configuration.
 
Doesn’t mean anything. 26” is the length to allow a vertical fore grip. Anything under 26” can’t have it, because it’s a pistol. Doesn’t mean yours being over 26” is a problem.

I wouldn’t shoot it while folded
 
Hi,
I recently purchased an AR pistol (semi auto). I have looked around and found some info on this topic but the waters are a bit muddy. The question is can I have a AR pistol with a law tactical folder with a brace? If so what is the overall length requirement if any? If I do have to meet the under 26” requirement does that mean I measure from the end of the stock (folded or un folded) to the end of the barrel threads? I would like to hear from anyone on this. I know we are all not lawyers here so I will take any advice knowing it is only your personal opinion.
Thank you all.
Hi,
I recently purchased an AR pistol (semi auto). I have looked around and found some info on this topic but the waters are a bit muddy. The question is can I have a AR pistol with a law tactical folder with a brace? If so what is the overall length requirement if any? If I do have to meet the under 26” requirement does that mean I measure from the end of the stock (folded or un folded) to the end of the barrel threads? I would like to hear from anyone on this. I know we are all not lawyers here so I will take any advice knowing it is only your personal opinion.
Thank you all.
It is my understanding that you can have a folding "brace" on a legally registered semi auto handgun/pistol in CA as long as it is a folding brace, NOT stock, is in a fixed mag configuration and does not have a vertical foregrip. If there is anything im missing any insights are welcomed and appreciated 👏.
 
There's a really old letter floating around (maybe check ARF) about it. Is it still something to worry about as of today? Probably not, but it's worth being aware of.
I actually think I found that article and then i lost it lol. It was basically saying LOP "Length of pull" measure from the face of the trigger to the end of the stock when fully extended and could not me more then 13.5" or it could be classified as a rifle, but there was a little more to it then that. I will link it here if I find it again.
 
Back
Top Bottom