18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

  • Welcome

    Welcome to CAguns

    Join California’s gun owner community. Create a free account to join discussions and explore member features.

Question Lead free 223 factory ammo?

Vtec44

Well-known member
📝 Contributor
Messages
193
What are some of the brands out there that you're using? It has been a while for me so I need some suggestions. Thanks!
 
I shoot the 53gr flat base tsx Barnes loaded ammo for a while it was on sale often at big five . I shoot out of a 16” heavy barrel 1:9 . 556 chamber . The gun and bullet has killed well over 30 pigs . 2 bucks ,and countless coyotes
If you 1:7 barrel I’d try to go heavier
Copper in 223 is a factor for sure
 
I shoot the 53gr flat base tsx Barnes loaded ammo for a while it was on sale often at big five . I shoot out of a 16” heavy barrel 1:9 . 556 chamber . The gun and bullet has killed well over 30 pigs . 2 bucks ,and countless coyotes
If you 1:7 barrel I’d try to go heavier
Copper in 223 is a factor for sure
It's 1/9 coming of a 22" barrel. I think I can still use 62gr w/o affecting accuracy. Any thoughts?
 
Try it . I’m not so sure the length is nearly as important as the twist but my 1:14 22-250 likes those 53fb too so maybe the 1:9 will spin the 62gr . What are you shooting ?
Accuracy matters way more than weight
 
Try it . I’m not so sure the length is nearly as important as the twist but my 1:14 22-250 likes those 53fb too so maybe the 1:9 will spin the 62gr . What are you shooting ?
Accuracy matters way more than weight

It's for coyotes and deer. The 223 round should be good for coyotes even 55gr. I've shot a few coyotes with it but not sure about deer. Shot placement is definitely important since we want a humane kill. The recoil of 308 is a bit much for my daughter so she'll stick with 223 for a while.
 
Back
Top Bottom