18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

Looking for a gun for carry / casual competition…

the compensator seems to do very little on that gun. They are good guns but the comp is mediocre, I'd rather just have an XL
Yeah, it’s definitely a good gun for sure. Carries nicely for concealment with minimal imprint. Agree, the comp is mediocre as hell. I’m changing mine now with the norsso reptile OG slide 3.1 and the radiant ramjet. Barrow porting to come after.
 
you could do the VP9 and then order a match slide kit for it.

That being said, you are asking for one gun to do the two furthest things from each other. You would be better served to get a carry gun and then a comp gun.

True, but many of us don't have the free cash to buy a competition gun versus a possible carry / demo gun for class. Here in CA 2011's are just way out of my price range.

If you can't afford one for each, I would decide which one will you would do/use more and start there. If you plan on competing get that one first as it "could" be carried as needed in a Demo Class.

If you are set on those 3 get the HK VP9. While I do not compete I have two VP9LEs that are extremely accurate. Just a bit to big for me to carry IWB.
 
the compensator seems to do very little on that gun. They are good guns but the comp is mediocre, I'd rather just have an XL

Good to know. I didn't thinking the Rost Martin RM1C Comp shot much better with the comp than my Echelon...so maybe I'll save myself some $ and get a plain XL...I just want to expand my Signess 🤣😑
 
Looking to get a mid/full size gun for casual competition and for open carry when I teach.

I’m looking at three right now…

-HKVP9F
- Sig P226
- Springfield Echelon

What are your thoughts on the above firearms. I have never owned a VP9 F or Echelon, so I was wondering what the experiences were out there.

The downside to the P226 is that I’ll want to change out the slide for an optic ready one and add a SRT.

I just started shooting the NRG Shoots and have been using my Echelon 4.0C. My goal is to not necessarily compete with everyone but to improve my abilities to shoot quickly and accurately while incorporating movement with the gun that I plan to carry on a regular basis. This also means using only 10 round mags since that's what I will be carrying. Basically, competing against myself to push for improvement.

I guess that could be considered 'casual competition' so for me, the Echelon is perfectly fine.

That said, I do plan to use my other carry pistols (XD9 full size and PDP Compact) in future shoots to make sure I'm also practicing the same skills with them.
 
That said, I do plan to use my other carry pistols (XD9 full size and PDP Compact) in future shoots to make sure I'm also practicing the same skills with them.

I’d suggest doing that sparingly. Pick a platform, build the fundamentals, and really develop the skills around it first. Once those are solid, they’ll carry over much more easily to other pistols.

I’ve seen shooters who constantly switch guns in matches get stuck in a rut because they’re always adapting instead of progressing. Pick one and run with it.

Nothing wrong with changing things up once in a while for variety, fun, or familiarity. I just wouldn’t do it with the mindset of, “I need to practice with all my other pistols.” That can easily turn into spreading too thin.
 
Being cz fun boy.....
P10c with aftermarket trigger and brass backstrap.
Confused Where Are We GIF
 
I’d suggest doing that sparingly. Pick a platform, build the fundamentals, and really develop the skills around it first. Once those are solid, they’ll carry over much more easily to other pistols.

I’ve seen shooters who constantly switch guns in matches get stuck in a rut because they’re always adapting instead of progressing. Pick one and run with it.

Nothing wrong with changing things up once in a while for variety, fun, or familiarity. I just wouldn’t do it with the mindset of, “I need to practice with all my other pistols.” That can easily turn into spreading too thin.

Definitely. When I started carrying for years ago, I practiced most of the time with the gun i carried primarily, which was my XD9. It got the most use during my range visits by a large margin.

I plan to approach this similarly, using the gun i carry the most, which will be my Echelon, for the shoots. I was going to switch occasionally to ensure that I can shoot the other pistols as well, but for sure, the majority of the shoots will be with my Echelon.
 
have you done a competition yet? Many people are just running Glocks, M&Ps, whatever gun. They all work and especially as a beginner the gun has very little to do with your performance. The caveat to all that is I would say you don't want to be putting 10-20k rounds a year on your carry gun because you want it to be reliable and ready to go. I would honestly budget for 2 cheaper guns rather than 1 expensive one, like get an Echelon full size and an Alpha.
but bro I need a $2500 gucci glock
 
Back
Top Bottom