18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

  • Welcome

    Welcome to CAguns

    Join California’s gun owner community. Create a free account to join discussions and explore member features.

Question M1A Scout Squad. Wood or synthetic???

Where should I go from near Sacramento? I have heard of a shooting spot I found on reddit and I know there’s that “open range” in Oroville but what about hiking
Wish i could help you with this but Im in Socal and only know some spots within an hour or so from the IE.
 
Just wondering if a red dot with an improper cheekweld is faster or slower than irons with a proper cheekweld?
It's probably something like this:

proper cheekweld red dot > proper cheekweld irons > proper cheekweld scope > improper cheekweld red dot > improper cheekweld irons > improper cheekweld scope.
 
Last edited:
I don’t know anybody who has an M1A that doesn’t like it. They are awesome guns but as described earlier in this thread….old school cool.

I love shooting mine. Something nostalgic about it I really enjoy I think.

-dale
 
There is a something about the m1a platform that i just love over all the other semi 308's. I have owned a socom 16 for 18 years and i also owned a standard for a while. such a fun gun to shoot. I have shot a bunch of the ar-10s but i prefer the m1a for the 308. just feels right. a scout mounted red dot for fast heads up aiming.
 
Ok, I am dead set on the M1A squad scout.

Just visited my home away from home at Triple A. They happen to have both wood and synthetic. I love the nostalgia and beauty of the battle rifle as it was intended with wood. But it’s heavier, the grip is FAT, the butt plate is metal and the wood scars easy. My wife loves the idea of wood but may struggle to enjoy shooting with those considerations.

Synthetic is cleaner, lighter, softer butt, firmer grip, slimmer profile, but bland and “modern”.

Any input!?
 
Surplus usgi stocks are thinner and can be found on GunBroker. A dummy switch or lockout button can be found from the guys on m14 forum. If you want thin, you want a usgi profile and not the big red variety. If you patient you can find one with nice tiger stripes. Usually birch, they're a bit more dramatic then striped walnut. Stocks can also be found on the forum and other sources.
 
Back
Top Bottom