18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

My first bill drill

Hamburger Monster

Well-known member
Messages
264
Classified ads
1
I'm not always up on the latest terms and nomenclature or even what the best training drills are. But benn watching more of Ben Stroeger and Tier 1 Concealed.

Was out shooting this weekend in the national forest woth my GF and decided to try out the bill drill at 10 yards. Just paced it out so may not be perfect. Carry a Sig P365 at 6:00 so I was drawing from there with it. No timer. But would guess at 8 seconds total for draw and 11 rounds on target. Grouping is about 3". Could definitely use more practice on the draw as that is where I believe most time is wasted.

What do you think?

Also, GF wanted to try out my AR.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20260905_131738.webp
    IMG_20260905_131738.webp
    114 KB · Views: 20
I also think I need to adjust the dot as the grouping was off a little from the target, but I couldn't find a small enough hex wrench that fit. So I left it for now. Will have to look in my Sig box to see if it's there and put it woth the rest of them so I can fid it next time
 
Why not run it to a standard? Pick 7 or 10 yards and do 6 rounds.

If you’re already holding around a 3-inch group, you can push the pace more - 8 seconds is a long time. The point isn’t to make the tightest possible group; it’s to keep acceptable accuracy, say within an 8-inch circle, while shooting as fast as you can control. That gives you a much better test of recoil management.

Also, take a video. Saying you did 11 rounds in 8 seconds at 10 yards doesn’t really tell us whether the issue is the draw, your cadence, or your recoil control.
 
Wait, by 6 o’clock you mean small of the back and not 12 o’clock (AIWB)?
 
Why not run it to a standard? Pick 7 or 10 yards and do 6 rounds.

If you’re already holding around a 3-inch group, you can push the pace more - 8 seconds is a long time. The point isn’t to make the tightest possible group; it’s to keep acceptable accuracy, say within an 8-inch circle, while shooting as fast as you can control. That gives you a much better test of recoil management.

Also, take a video. Saying you did 11 rounds in 8 seconds at 10 yards doesn’t really tell us whether the issue is the draw, your cadence, or your recoil control.
Yes, I need to film it. Maybe next time I can get my GF hold the phone. I know for sure the draw is really slow and I need a lot more practice. Bit filming it can definitely tell me if there is any particular issue or something else hanging me up
Wait, by 6 o’clock you mean small of the back and not 12 o’clock (AIWB)?
12:00 is not comfortable for me. Especially sitting. It prints way too much for my liking too. I can go all day at 6:00. Sitting is no problem. Draw is the only issue but hopping practice can fix that
 
Yes, I need to film it. Maybe next time I can get my GF hold the phone. I know for sure the draw is really slow and I need a lot more practice. Bit filming it can definitely tell me if there is any particular issue or something else hanging me up

12:00 is not comfortable for me. Especially sitting. It prints way too much for my liking too. I can go all day at 6:00. Sitting is no problem. Draw is the only issue but hopping practice can fix that
You can get a dirt cheap camera tripod
 
Yes, I need to film it. Maybe next time I can get my GF hold the phone. I know for sure the draw is really slow and I need a lot more practice. Bit filming it can definitely tell me if there is any particular issue or something else hanging me up

12:00 is not comfortable for me. Especially sitting. It prints way too much for my liking too. I can go all day at 6:00. Sitting is no problem. Draw is the only issue but hopping practice can fix that
Are you especially skinny or something? Usually AIWB is where you have the most room to conceal something (even more so than behind your back) as you have the entire front + the peaks and valleys of your inguinal crease.

Do what works for you and you’ll carry and train with consistently, but I’d say even 4 o’clock would be better as with small of the back you can’t watch your reholstering at all and you have much less visibility of its concealement status and ability to defend a gun grab. It’s also a lot less accessible in confined spaces or if seated.

But, I’m sure you’d taken these considerations into account. Just repeating them for the benefit of others who may not know.
 
Are you especially skinny or something? Usually AIWB is where you have the most room to conceal something (even more so than behind your back) as you have the entire front + the peaks and valleys of your inguinal crease.

Do what works for you and you’ll carry and train with consistently, but I’d say even 4 o’clock would be better as with small of the back you can’t watch your reholstering at all and you have much less visibility of its concealement status and ability to defend a gun grab. It’s also a lot less accessible in confined spaces or if seated.

But, I’m sure you’d taken these considerations into account. Just repeating them for the benefit of others who may not know.
I'm a fairly thin build. 6" and about 160lbs. The gun fits in the small of my back and the shirt hangs over it and it's not really visible. Up front it gives me a unnatural belly with a gun shape
 
Back
Top Bottom