18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

  • Welcome

    Welcome to CAguns

    Join California’s gun owner community. Create a free account to join discussions and explore member features.

Need Help With Wildcat Cartridge

BBCAP

Member
Messages
28
A friend of mine gave me his Weatherby rifle that he had converted to .338-284 Winchester. He also gave me the dies and 100 cases for it. After several years of sitting in the safe, I decided to give it a try. I went out and bought some 300 grain full jacket hollow points and some Hodgdon H4831SC because I found a verified and tested load on a trusted website. It called for a starting load of 68 grains. Problem is, the case only holds 61 grains of this powder to the very top. The cases are expanded for the .338 bullet. I triple checked my scale and it's 100 percent accurate. I feel the data may be incorrect. Does anyone have a tested load they recommend? I trust you guys on this site. You've helped me tremendously and never steered my wrong. Thanks for any help you can give me.
 
You should probably model that in Quickload and see what it comes up with.
 
You should probably model that in Quickload and see what it comes up with.
Thanks for the reply. I appreciate the information. I did a little research and found P-Max Internal Ballistics Simulator. It's just like Quickloads but it's free and doesn't have any operating system issues as it's online. I found that a 55 starting grain was a good load to work up from. Thanks again for the great information. It was very helpful.
 
Back
Top Bottom