18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

NORCAL/BAYAREA

oneaudiopro, thanks for the tip on Two Rock. I'm going to check that range out. I was Army, but i used to go to the Petaluma Two Rock Coast Guard base for medical and dental (I retired in 2021). I never saw a range out there, but then again I was never looking for one. I'm going to check it out
It’s approximately 1 mile past the CG station.
 
There's an outdoor range in Petaluma called Two Rock. $20 for all day. Good Luck
I’ve shot there a few times I think. Nice place. The one in Petaluma I am thinking of had out to 300 yards for rifles which is nice as not many places go out that far.
 
Wait I’ve only heard positive things about Los Altos, admittedly only through their yelp. I was going to check it out this weekend, what issues are you talking about?
I’ve shot out at Los Altos since the 1990s. It’s a good range. If there are negative reviews it’s because they are strict and do enforce the rules (none of which are crazy or unreasonable). For example, there isn’t as much room as desired between the cars/parking and the shooting benches as desired so they have a super slow speed limit (like 5 MPH). If you exceed they will shout at you to slow down. If you are a sensitive person, this may upset you.
 
I’ve shot out at Los Altos since the 1990s. It’s a good range. If there are negative reviews it’s because they are strict and do enforce the rules (none of which are crazy or unreasonable). For example, there isn’t as much room as desired between the cars/parking and the shooting benches as desired so they have a super slow speed limit (like 5 MPH). If you exceed they will shout at you to slow down. If you are a sensitive person, this may upset you.
Yeah, I went for four hours on Saturday and had a great time. Beautiful range too I loved the chill. Indoor ranges are convenient but I just can’t stand being inside for so long.
 
Yeah, I went for four hours on Saturday and had a great time. Beautiful range too I loved the chill. Indoor ranges are convenient but I just can’t stand being inside for so long.
I agree about your impression of the place. I also prefer outdoor ranges whenever possible. I think the most beautiful one was Chabot in the East Bay but it closed like 7 or so years ago (political).
 
My go to place is USI in Concord. Nice people and it's outdoors. They have clays, pistol and rifle ranges. They also have action pistol but you need to be vetted for that.
 
My go to place is USI in Concord. Nice people and it's outdoors. They have clays, pistol and rifle ranges. They also have action pistol but you need to be vetted for that.
If it’s the place I’m thinking of, they also have 200 yard bench rest shooting, metallic silhouette shooting, knife and axe throwing. It’s possible I’m thinking of another range. What I do remember, is that the bench rest competitions cost on the order of five dollars and there were four different types of benchrest shooting. Where the real value was is having a beer afterwards in the clubhouse where you could chat to the experience individuals and learn a great deal about longer distance shooting
 
Outdoor shooting spots that are not ranges? They may or may not exist. Most BLM spots are off limits. Privately owned ones tend to be very secret.

Fortunately, we have a large selection of well run (and not so well run) outdoor ranges. My favorite is Metcalf (a.k.a. Santa Clara County field sports park), and Richmond R&G. Also very good reputations for Sunnyvale R&G and Scotts Valley Sportsmen's Club. I hear mixed things (some good, many bad) about Los Altos R&G.

Do they check the guns coming in? Not necessarily coming in, but they will check that they're unloaded etc. during a cease fire. But why do you care? I am always delighted when someone wants to look at my guns.
I've gone to SRGC, it's good range & people are nice. $25 shoot as long as you want but it's only open to the public Tues & Sat. I'd imagine Saturdays are just too crowded though and only went on a Tuesday mid-day (it got busier late afternoon). They have metal and paper targets but shallowest distance for pistol is 20 or 25 yards. Trap shooting also. If you have the time & dough, seems like a good place to be a member.

Metcalf is good. Only $15 and $10 for over 60, closed Tues/Wed. I'd imagine it gets very busy on weekends but was great on the Monday I was there a month or two ago.

Scotts Valley is members & member guests only. Nice smaller range that I'm looking into since I live up that way. It's pretty much legal to shoot in most of unincorporated Santa Cruz county so there are some private spots here and there but you need to know someone to get in on that action.

Haven't been to Los Altos in a couple of decades but may go check it out one of these days for trap shooting since that's up in my neck of the woods. I haven't heard anything bad about it. I think it's $35 entry though.
 
I've gone to SRGC, it's good range & people are nice. $25 shoot as long as you want but it's only open to the public Tues & Sat. I'd imagine Saturdays are just too crowded though and only went on a Tuesday mid-day (it got busier late afternoon). They have metal and paper targets but shallowest distance for pistol is 20 or 25 yards. Trap shooting also. If you have the time & dough, seems like a good place to be a member.

Metcalf is good. Only $15 and $10 for over 60, closed Tues/Wed. I'd imagine it gets very busy on weekends but was great on the Monday I was there a month or two ago.

Scotts Valley is members & member guests only. Nice smaller range that I'm looking into since I live up that way. It's pretty much legal to shoot in most of unincorporated Santa Cruz county so there are some private spots here and there but you need to know someone to get in on that action.

Haven't been to Los Altos in a couple of decades but may go check it out one of these days for trap shooting since that's up in my neck of the woods. I haven't heard anything bad about it. I think it's $35 entry though.
If you want to shoot clays, the most fun place I know of in the Bay Area is Coyote Valley Sporting Clays in San Jose. Very nice place and on weekends they serve BBQ outside of the ProShop.
 
Wait I’ve only heard positive things about Los Altos, admittedly only through their yelp. I was going to check it out this weekend, what issues are you talking about?
The main complaint I've heard (other than strictly enforcing the 3 MPH speed limit) is that because they allow rapid fire you sometimes have to deal with people who bring a bunch of magazines and magdump their ARs.
 
The main complaint I've heard (other than strictly enforcing the 3 MPH speed limit) is that because they allow rapid fire you sometimes have to deal with people who bring a bunch of magazines and magdump their ARs.
I didn’t know they allowed rapid fire. I do recall about 10 years ago on their pistol range some Marines on leave were shooting rapid fire. Nothing crazy. Afterwards, a range safety officer had a talk and mentioned no rapid fire; the RSO was very cool and respectful about it.

If I am wrong, please correct me. There aren’t many places you can rapid fire. Not that I want to mag dump BUT I’d like to do2 to 5 rapid shots to simulate potential self defense drills for both handgun and rifles. The only place I know of in the Bay Area still open that allows double taps is an indoor range in Dublin called Fishing Guns and More.
 
They
I didn’t know they allowed rapid fire. I do recall about 10 years ago on their pistol range some Marines on leave were shooting rapid fire. Nothing crazy. Afterwards, a range safety officer had a talk and mentioned no rapid fire; the RSO was very cool and respectful about it.

If I am wrong, please correct me. There aren’t many places you can rapid fire. Not that I want to mag dump BUT I’d like to do2 to 5 rapid shots to simulate potential self defense drills for both handgun and rifles. The only place I know of in the Bay Area still open that allows double taps is an indoor range in Dublin called Fishing Guns and More.
They do allow rapid fire as long as you are "intentional" about it
 
The main complaint I've heard (other than strictly enforcing the 3 MPH speed limit) is that because they allow rapid fire you sometimes have to deal with people who bring a bunch of magazines and magdump their ARs.

YES. Since they changed the rule, a whole new crowd has started to saturate the place, and I only go there when I need to burn off some .223, of which I have too much. Used to be a fairly calm gun range, but the last 2 times I went (and I go early in the AM at opening time), within an hour the place is FULL of people who can't seem to onboard the whole "don't approach the bench during a cease fire" thing and people magdumping their Glocks at 7 yards into 3 foot diameter "groups".

It actually feels a little less safe now.
 
I didn’t know they allowed rapid fire. I do recall about 10 years ago on their pistol range some Marines on leave were shooting rapid fire. Nothing crazy. Afterwards, a range safety officer had a talk and mentioned no rapid fire; the RSO was very cool and respectful about it.

If I am wrong, please correct me. There aren’t many places you can rapid fire. Not that I want to mag dump BUT I’d like to do2 to 5 rapid shots to simulate potential self defense drills for both handgun and rifles. The only place I know of in the Bay Area still open that allows double taps is an indoor range in Dublin called Fishing Guns and More.

I go to Reeds. I think "officially" they have a no-rapid fire rule. However, I have never really seen it enforced. I think if they hear you going near cyclic with rapid fire they are gonna give you a look to see if you appear to know what you are doing; if so, they leave you alone. If not, they'll probably come have a talk.
 
I go to Reeds. I think "officially" they have a no-rapid fire rule. However, I have never really seen it enforced. I think if they hear you going near cyclic with rapid fire they are gonna give you a look to see if you appear to know what you are doing; if so, they leave you alone. If not, they'll probably come have a talk.

Same experience at Reeds. They have an official "No fast or rapid fire. Allow at least 3 SECONDS BETWEEN SHOTS" rule but I have shot faster than that without issue. As long as you're not full-on mag dumping they don't seem to care. The weekend crowd leaves much to be desired regarding safety though.
 
Same experience at Reeds. They have an official "No fast or rapid fire. Allow at least 3 SECONDS BETWEEN SHOTS" rule but I have shot faster than that without issue. As long as you're not full-on mag dumping they don't seem to care. The weekend crowd leaves much to be desired regarding safety though.

Yeah, I always get there right at opening and am gone within an hour. My theory is that idiots tend not to be early risers. However, there is still the odd couple of "LOUD NOISES ROCKKKKK!!!!" weirdos whooping it up and blasting away with 12 gauges from time to time. But I've not seen them be unsafe all the same.
 
Yeah, I always get there right at opening and am gone within an hour. My theory is that idiots tend not to be early risers. However, there is still the odd couple of "LOUD NOISES ROCKKKKK!!!!" weirdos whooping it up and blasting away with 12 gauges from time to time. But I've not seen them be unsafe all the same.

Agreed, I think its one of the few indoor ranges nearby that let you shoot shotguns indoor. The opening crowd does seem to do better - the afternoon crowd has more rentals/tourists. I test my shotguns after cleaning at Reeds so hopefully I'm not one of the weirdos blasting away next to you. :P
 
Metcalf is a great outdoor place to go. The ROs there are strict (which I like) to keep the place safe. I might be in the minority, but I like to shoot ranges that have have cease fires.

Los Altos is also good, but can be wet and dreary in the early mornings. Did my CCW class there and it was decent place. The speed limit thing is for real and parking can be tough along with waiting at the gate in the morning with cars backed up on 35.

Reed's has gotten a bit scary for me. I really wish they did NOT RENT guns there. Last time I was there there were a group of newbies who had rented a couple of glocks to share right next to me. That and the shotgun crowd is a bit much for me. The place is always packed on the weekends.
 
Depends on what you're worried about. No one is checking for compliant ARs or freedom week mags at any range I've ever been to. Far more likely to have LEO called on you for shooting on public land, even if it's legal. Some Karen hears "Machine gun fire" and calls it in, and the most junior deputy in the region gets to show off what he learned in the academy.
 
Back
Top Bottom