18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

Older eyes…optics

bcj68

Well-known member
Messages
208
Has anyone else out there found that optics are the great eye saver? As my eyes got older I have found them a true helper in my shooting. I can make irons still work - but not for long periods…
 
I know this isn’t an optic but these helped me. I have optics on semi’s but I’ve been having issues with iron sights on my revolvers. They’re cheap, comfortable, anti-fog and most importantly they have a 1.5 bifocal lens. I can see my irons really well, and looking up I can clearly see out to the target 15 yards away. Getting old sucks.

IMG_0563.webp
 
Last edited:
I'll be 70 in a few months. Don't need glasses. Can see iron sights just fine. Can thread a needle. I do however have two red dots, just for fun.
 
I went with XS big dot sights starting in my late 30s. Now in my late 50s they are still working fine. Should I reach a point where my eyes are having issues, I will look into optics. My only issue with them has been that in order to see them I need to change my draw stroke on pistols. But, if I can’t see the front sight as I get older, then, I will make the change. Not quite there yet. Given my age and how I see out to where the front sight, my eye doctor (who is also avid shooter), he thinks I may not ever need them; we have discussed this topic.
 
I know this isn’t an optic but these helped me. I have optics on semi’s but I’ve been having issues with iron sights on my revolvers. They’re cheap, comfortable, anti-fog and most importantly they have a 1.5 bifocal lens. I can see my irons really well, and looking up I can clearly see out to the target 15 yards away. Getting old sucks.

View attachment 207757
Just bought a pair
 
With proper training, optics will be a game changer for almost anyone with from 20/20 (or better) to old/tired eyes. Makes it very easy since you are target focused and bring the dot within your vision, unlike irons where most folks are focused on the front sight with the target blurry. I now shoot irons like I shoot red dots. Target focused with the front sight blurry, still works well as long as you practice and have a nice bright front sight.
 
A 1x power scope will get the reticle and target in perfect focus. One cannot do that with good eyes alone. The human eye has to adjust for close or distance focus. You can't do both at the same time without the glass.

If adjustable to 8 or 10x you will hit stuff without much effort.
 
Back
Top Bottom