18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

p365 question

lostinsd82

Member
Messages
28
so i have a p365 that i use for carry, its compact - ive seen some chat about exchange kits that allow you to change p365s into something else. i assume these things are for full size?

sorry if this sounds dumb, im just trying to understand it
 
Well... sort of. You can remove the Fire Control Unit (the guts) of your P365 and install it into another grip module. Depending on what you're trying to achieve, you might install different magazines or a different slide.

Google on "grip modules P365" and by the time your'e done reading, you'll be an expert. Personally, I like the Wilson Combat grip modules.
 
Because the p365 has a FCU "fire control unit" which is the part that actually has the weapon serial number you can put it in different frames and use differnt slides and the serial number stays the same. Many options for customization just becareful if doing any mods to the trigger as your CCW agency may frown upon that.
 
thank you for the info, yes i dont think im going to toy with my ccw gun, i run them stock for the most part
could be an xmacro in the future
 
Some of us were able to purchase freedom week mags for the 365 back in 2019. I had purchased several 12rd mags for the original p365. When the 365XL was released along with the Wilson Combat grip modules, I switched to the 365XL grip module. Essentially creating what would be the 365X, which allows use of the said 12rd original 365 mags. Many people have different opinions on what they like in the 365 lineup. For me, this was the best setup. Been running it for years and I still haven’t come across anything to change my mind.

I don’t think changing grip module or even slide length should change anything so long as you’ve qualified with said setup. I’ve qualified several times on my setup and never had an issue. Heck I even had a Trijicon RMRcc direct milled to my original slide and have qualified and carried that way for years. Cheaper to buy the components you want to make the gun exactly what you like vs buying the model you like.

Just my 2¢
 
i do enjoy my stock p365 for carry but ive handled the full size and it felt nice too im down in san diego and they're pretty flexible about carry options down here - you can never have too many hole poker toys thats for sure
 
Just got my p365 yesterday and took it shooting today. I put a Hogue beaver grip on mine and am very happy, will not change anything. I now see why everyone raves about them, will be my primary ccw carry, the glocks will stay home.
 
Its you like its micro size and shoot it well u would not worry about making it bigger. But if youd like a longer grip get a xl grip model and you cam cut it down for your slide to run the same holster if not you want to get tyebxl slide/barrel and new holster. Or even a macro/comp slide and grip. I ccw mine as a macro comp its only a a but bigger then my shield with a plus 1 baseplate.
 
I do like the fact that many parts are interchangable and your serial number doesn't change. I don't get buying a P365 per say just to know your going to switch parts out immediately to make it a bigger gun or metal frame and not composite.

Which if you're doing all that why not just buy the metal version like the legion to begin with. A lot of these after market aluminum frames are $399+ so by the time you add in all the mods you've spent the same or more modifying the original gun.

That all being said love my X Macro Comp and now I want to buy a legion...
 
I do like the fact that many parts are interchangable and your serial number doesn't change. I don't get buying a P365 per say just to know your going to switch parts out immediately to make it a bigger gun or metal frame and not composite.

Which if you're doing all that why not just buy the metal version like the legion to begin with. A lot of these after market aluminum frames are $399+ so by the time you add in all the mods you've spent the same or more modifying the original gun.

That all being said love my X Macro Comp and now I want to buy a legion...
Well you can’t necessarily just purchase any model 365 as not all of them are on the CA roster. I can understand getting something as close as possible to the end result you’re looking for, but you can only get so close by sticking to the roster.
 
Well you can’t necessarily just purchase any model 365 as not all of them are on the CA roster. I can understand getting something as close as possible to the end result you’re looking for, but you can only get so close by sticking to the roster.
Am I mistaken that any P365 you buy legally here in CA you can take out and use the FCU and basically build any model you want. The serial # is with the fcu no on the frame slide or barrel. So in essence you can take the FCU from your legally purchased P365, purchase any frame, slide, barrel put it together and you have the larger or smaller gun you want.
 
Am I mistaken that any P365 you buy legally here in CA you can take out and use the FCU and basically build any model you want. The serial # is with the fcu no on the frame slide or barrel. So in essence you can take the FCU from your legally purchased P365, purchase any frame, slide, barrel put it together and you have the larger or smaller gun you want.
Yes you can build it but you can’t buy it. Once you have the FCU your options open up quite a bit by mixing and matching frame and slides

I would just suggest to rezero after every switch. Did some matches after changing FCU’s to find my zero moved.
 
Well you can’t necessarily just purchase any model 365 as not all of them are on the CA roster. I can understand getting something as close as possible to the end result you’re looking for, but you can only get so close by sticking to the roster.
Also, just a heads up - all the CA roster 365 versions will have a mag disconnect + loaded chamber indicator. The mag disconnect makes it so that offroster (no mag disconnect) grip modules wont fit. Thankfully, from what I've read, you can remove the mag disconnect to make it fit into non-ca grips.

BUT if its going on your CCW - modifying the internals of the gun might not be allowed by your issuing agency, so double check with them or keep that in mind when you take off the mag disconnect and decide to put it on your permit.
 
Back
Top Bottom