18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

Feedback Pistol barrels

Messages
228
Classified ads
1
Hi all, with the ban on barrels, I'm thinking of picking up some extra barrels for my pistols. I'm trying to figure out if I'm just in FOMO mode, or it's actually a good idea. I'm not Ben Stoeger, going through 10,000 rounds / year, but perhaps this will be the cheapest pistol barrels get for a while if we're going to have to start paying FFL transfers.

Specifically, my PX4 is my main gun, and I don't know if Beretta's going to be making too many more barrels. There's also 0 aftermarket barrels for the PX4. Also looking at the Apex barrels for the M&P 2.0 series.

Where do other people stand on this? Anyone else picking up extras?
 
How much do you shoot? If you only shoot occasionally like most people, maybe 1 or maybe none. Not many people actually wear out barrels.

If you shoot enough you're going to need spare barrels, I'd expect you to already know the answer to this question.
 
For $32 a year after the first year, you can keep an FFL03 and COE which makes you exempt of the gun parts law as well as the ammo background check law.
This allows you to order parts and ammo shipped directly to your home and avoid the extra 11% tax as well.
The savings on the tax alone are likely going to cover your annual costs.
 
How much do you shoot? If you only shoot occasionally like most people, maybe 1 or maybe none. Not many people actually wear out barrels.

If you shoot enough you're going to need spare barrels, I'd expect you to already know the answer to this question.
If I do ~4 steel matches a year, plus 4-6 paper range days, should I get a backup barrel for my CZ 75? It's about 6 years old at this point (but I took two years off of matches when ammo prices went crazy).
 
If I do ~4 steel matches a year, plus 4-6 paper range days, should I get a backup barrel for my CZ 75? It's about 6 years old at this point (but I took two years off of matches when ammo prices went crazy).
Handgun barrels are usually good for 100,000 rounds or a lot more.
So, 4 matches at say 250 rounds plus 5 paper range days with perhaps 200 rounds is 2000 rounds a year.
Your barrel will last about 50 years

You should be replacing hammer spring, recoil spring and extractor springs about every 3 years though.
 
Last edited:
For $32 a year after the first year, you can keep an FFL03 and COE which makes you exempt of the gun parts law as well as the ammo background check law.
This allows you to order parts and ammo shipped directly to your home and avoid the extra 11% tax as well.
The savings on the tax alone are likely going to cover your annual costs.
I think 03 holders are only exempt if the firearm is a C&R:

"(g) The following are exempt from the process outlined in this section:
...
(5) Sales or transfers to a federally licensed collector who is acquiring or being loaned the barrel of a firearm that is a curio or relic,"
 
I think 03 holders are only exempt if the firearm is a C&R:

"(g) The following are exempt from the process outlined in this section:
...
(5) Sales or transfers to a federally licensed collector who is acquiring or being loaned the barrel of a firearm that is a curio or relic,"
Good thing all AR barrels can be used in C&Rs.
 
Handgun barrels are usually good for 100,000 rounds or a lot more.
So, 4 matches at say 250 rounds plus 5 paper range days with perhaps 200 rounds is 2000 rounds a year.
Your barrel will last about 50 years

You should be replacing hammer spring, recoil spring and extractor springs about every 3 years though.
Excellent. Thanks! Those got replaced earlier this year.
 
Back
Top Bottom