18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

PPT, in store or online- AMMO

maser44

Member
Messages
40
Need to do a restock of 9mm soon and haven’t purchased since the new tax/ PPT through FFL for ammo requirement.

Is it generally more cost effective to purchase PPT and pay those fees, buy online (and ship to FFL? Still pay extra taxes?) or buy direct from an ammo bros or similar?
 
FFL03 + COE

Besides the obvious, shipping to an FFL in bulk is usually best bet. Last time I ever bought 1k 9mm 124 gr I paid $412.... I think stores like Ammo Bros charge $50 transfer fee per 5,000 rounds.

I don't personally trust buying ammo that's been handled by others selling through PPT
 
FFL03 + COE

Besides the obvious, shipping to an FFL in bulk is usually best bet. Last time I ever bought 1k 9mm 124 gr I paid $412.... I think stores like Ammo Bros charge $50 transfer fee per 5,000 rounds.

I don't personally trust buying ammo that's been handled by others selling through PPT
Damn last time I bought a thousand rounds it was $210. That’s crazy
 
I personally wouldn't buy ammo from PPT unless you find ammo that is rare or just a really good deal thats hard to find. Every now and then ill see someone selling Belom 9mm ammo or S&B which is hard to find at a good price.

Buying ammo online is not worth it unless you buy in crazy bulk like 5k+ rounds. The taxes, shipping, fees and finding a vendor that will ship to cali makes it difficult.

Your best bet is to find deals with a gun store in your area. If your local to SoCal as mentioned Ammo Bros has some of the best prices for ammo you will always find some brand going for $15 or under for a 9mm 50 round box. Ammo DROS is now $5 which used to be $1 so if you buy from several places the DROS fees alone will add up if you shark around getting deals from different places.
 
Last edited:
I personally wouldn't buy ammo from PPT unless you find ammo that is rare or just a really good deal thats hard to find. Every now and then ill see someone selling like someone selling Belom 9mm ammo or S&B which is hard to find at a good price.

Buying ammo online is not worth it unless you buy in crazy bulk like 5k+ rounds. The taxes, shipping, fees and finding a vendor that will ship to cali makes it difficult.

Your best bet is to find deals with a gun store in your area. If your local to SoCal as mentioned Ammo Bros has some of the best prices for ammo you will always find some brand going for $15 or under for a 9mm 50 round box. Ammo DROS is now $5 which used to be $1 so if you buy from several places the DROS fees alone will add up if you shark around getting deals from different places.
Thanks for taking the time to answer.

Curious, if I could find someone selling a thousand rounds here for $300, why would I be better off at a store for $300? Are there also ppt fees associated? I feel like that tax + 11% hits harder than anything, no?

FYI- I used to just meet with people on CalGuns or buy thousands at a time online. Haven’t had to buy ammo in about 10 years so I’m way out of the loop and appreciate the updates rather than the “Google is your friend” response.
 
Thanks for taking the time to answer.

Curious, if I could find someone selling a thousand rounds here for $300, why would I be better off at a store for $300? Are there also ppt fees associated? I feel like that tax + 11% hits harder than anything, no?

FYI- I used to just meet with people on CalGuns or buy thousands at a time online. Haven’t had to buy ammo in about 10 years so I’m way out of the loop and appreciate the updates rather than the “Google is your friend” response.
It will cost you around $15

Most dealers charge $10 for PPT ammo transfer + $5 Background check fee from the state

it used to be better back in the day for face to face ammo deals and being able to have ammo shipped right to your doorstep. Miss those days
 
Is a Sportsman's Warehouse close to you?
Take the price $12.00 (box) x 1.2 (tax) = $14.44 = 28.8 CPR give or take, $288/1,000rds
So price at $13.00 x 1.2 = $15.60 = 31.2 CPR = $312/1,000rds
Also the $5.00 background fee, have you purchased a firearm lately?
If not you could be in for a surprise.


Always buy online and pick up.
Actual store stock is not reliable and you might waste a drive to store.
I have never used this ammo but feedback looks good.


FKLKiBhl.png

lwjevq1m.png


 
Order from Targetsportsusa.com
Fast shipping. Good pricing. Over a certain $ amount you get free shipping. I don't work for them but as an FFL I get a lot of shipments in from them. I have never heard any customer complain about their service.
As a home-based FFL in Yorba Linda, we charge $20 per order, doesn't matter how big or small the order is. Plus DROS + 11% excise tax
By appt only. No Sunday appointments.
Stoney Creek Arms
714.482.7508
 
Is a Sportsman's Warehouse close to you?
Take the price $12.00 (box) x 1.2 (tax) = $14.44 = 28.8 CPR give or take, $288/1,000rds
So price at $13.00 x 1.2 = $15.60 = 31.2 CPR = $312/1,000rds
Also the $5.00 background fee, have you purchased a firearm lately?
If not you could be in for a surprise.


Always buy online and pick up.
Actual store stock is not reliable and you might waste a drive to store.
I have never used this ammo but feedback looks good.


FKLKiBhl.png

lwjevq1m.png


Helpful, thanks. And yes I just grabbed a p365 last month
 
Back
Top Bottom