18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

Question on Selling slide/barrel

calisawesome

⚠️ New Member | No Deposits ☢️
Messages
4
Classified ads
1
I have a Glock 20.3C complete upper, OEM, that I am considering selling. However, I am in a somewhat rural and agricultural area of CA, we only have 2 FFLs in my area. If I were to sell on CAguns.net can I ship to the buyer?

Sorry, I'm new to all this and with all the recent changes it's getting harder to navigate all this legally. Thank you for your help!
 
I'm definitely not a lawyer but you can sell the complete slide with barrel as long as the item is delivered to the buyer before Jan 1. After Jan 1, my understanding is you can still sell the slide and other parts/accessories, but not the barrel, without going through an FFL. After Jan 1, all barrels have to go through an FFL, but really no one has any idea how that will work because there aren't any regulations and background checks on barrels don't start until July 2027. So from Jan 2026 to July 2027 what do private sellers do if they want to sell a barrel? I asked a sales guy at my LGS do the seller and buyer show up at an FFL and the seller hands the barrel to the FFL and the FFL hands the barrel to the seller? Is that it? It sounds really stupid. AB1263 defines a “Firearm industry member” as "a person, firm, corporation, company, partnership, society, joint stock company, or any other entity or association engaged in the manufacture, distribution, importation, marketing, wholesale sale, or retail sale of firearm-related products." I don't know if private sellers are included in the definition of "Firearm industry member". If not, then the requirements regarding parts and accessories may not apply.
 
Last edited:
Yeah, that's my confusion honestly. On my Glock, both the barrel and slide are serialized, which is what is giving me pause. My local FFL is closed today, all I know is that after Jan 1st, it'll be that more confusing on how navigate all this legally.
 
Yeah, that's my confusion honestly. On my Glock, both the barrel and slide are serialized, which is what is giving me pause. My local FFL is closed today, all I know is that after Jan 1st, it'll be that more confusing on how navigate all this legally.
Serial number on the slide and barrel doesn't matter. The law applies regardless of if a barrel or slide has an SN on it. For sure, you can sell your slide and barrel as long as you complete the sale by Jan 1. After Jan 1, no one really knows and there aren't any regulations to help clarify. It's a total chitshow.
 
Last edited:
Thank you for your help, I am trying to do this the right way. I am located about 2 hours east of San Diego, very rural and agricultural area and only 2 FFLs, so I was hoping I could still ship to buyer prior to Jan. 1st. But maybe I'll also offer to travel to San Diego if needed. Thank you.
 
Thank you for your help, I am trying to do this the right way. I am located about 2 hours east of San Diego, very rural and agricultural area and only 2 FFLs, so I was hoping I could still ship to buyer prior to Jan. 1st. But maybe I'll also offer to travel to San Diego if needed. Thank you.
Yes, you can totally do it prior to Jan 1 as long as the buyer receives it before Jan 1. That isn't up for debate. These laws don't begin until Jan 1. After Jan 1 is when things change but no one knows what is still legal to do because the law is extremely poorly written and there aren't any regulations. So just complete your sale before Jan 1 and then you won't have to think about it.
 
Back
Top Bottom