18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

Question Recommendations Plz: DA/SA with Rail

lavalamp117

⚠️ New Member | No Deposits ☢️
Messages
16
Hi folks, looking for recommendations for a handgun with a certain set of features. Curious if I've overlooked a good choice that's on the roster.

Requirements:

- Double Action+Single Action
- Has a rail for a light
- Aluminum or Steel frame
- 9mm
- (Soft requirement, Price... Under $1000, used is okay)

So far, I know of the P226 that checks these boxes - barely for its used price. I must be missing some others. Thanks!
 
CZ is the company, the P01 is the model of pistol, so they are the same thing. CZ also makes an SP-01 which is a larger size of the P-01.

Sig also makes the P229, which can be cheaper than the P226 if you find the right deal. (note P226 and P229 come in several variants)

Any reason you need aluminum or steel? The Beretta PX4 and HK P2000 (all variants) are all well-built DA/SA on-roster pistols that are great shooters, but are polymer.
 
I am a Sig p226 fanboy, I have three: W. German, German black stainless, and Mastershop gen 1 X5 Tactical. My favorite upgrades are replacing the hammer strut with a super strut and use a 17# mainspring. It smooths out the crunch of the DA trigger pull and reduces the DA pull to 5-ish lbs.
 
cz p01, m9a1, p226


in that order
What this guy said. The P01 is the most modern of them all, and also the lightest and most ergonomic. The P226/P229 is a brick IMO, and the CA version has a big LCI and magazine disconnect. I say this as someone who has a lot of training with the P226.

The M9/M9A1 is a good value usually, and is a better gun than the P226 to me. It also has a ton of cheap mags, parts, and holsters since it was so common with the military and police.
 
Really appreciate all the help folks, thanks a bunch. I haven't looked into the P229, I'll do some research on that. I've met some Sig triggers I really liked and really disliked - heard some mixed things on the old surplus P226 triggers, only heard good things about the Beretta... but I think what my heart really wants is the off-roster CZs 😭

I'll have to find a place that has these in stock and get a feel for them.
CZ is the company, the P01 is the model of pistol, so they are the same thing. CZ also makes an SP-01 which is a larger size of the P-01.

Sig also makes the P229, which can be cheaper than the P226 if you find the right deal. (note P226 and P229 come in several variants)

Any reason you need aluminum or steel? The Beretta PX4 and HK P2000 (all variants) are all well-built DA/SA on-roster pistols that are great shooters, but are polymer.

I've only had plastic handguns so far and I want to try something different, as well as hearing more about the durability of metallics this and that. I wouldn't mind trying a gun on the medium-heavy side as well.
 
Back
Top Bottom