18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

  • Welcome

    Welcome to CAguns

    Join California’s gun owner community. Create a free account to join discussions and explore member features.

Regarding the SIN TAX...

bluesky762

⚠️ New Member | No Deposits ☢️
Messages
22
Classified ads
1
Just a thought, but what stops an FFL from charging $1 for a lower/frame or even a complete firearm, and then the customer is required to buy a $500+ cleaning rod?
 
Just a thought, but what stops an FFL from charging $1 for a lower/frame or even a complete firearm, and then the customer is required to buy a $500+ cleaning rod?
I imagine the Franchise Tax Board is what would stop that
 
Dodging taxes is generally a poor business plan, especially if you're not funding the campaigns of the people regulating you.
 
It's called an excise tax. And because they want to keep their business licenses and not go to jail or get fined
 
If the $500 cleaning rod is effectively a condition of purchasing the firearm, CDTFA can treat the transaction as having $501 of gross receipts rather than accepting the artificial $1 firearm price.

The excise is 11% of gross receipts from retail sales of firearms and other covered products. CDTFA specifically says gross receipts include the firearm’s selling price plus amounts the customer is required to pay as part of the purchase, including discretionary/handling/transfer charges.

So basically, they already thought of that.

Someone who isn’t me has not paid excise on shipped in transfers purchased online plenty of times. I’m sure others could confirm that to be true if they also know someone who isn’t them.
 
They tried doing that with cell phones and the CFTB said pony up- even free - pay full retail tax. Gov always gets paid -
 
Yeah the tax is a bummer, but then I remember I can go swimming in the winter and it's not snowing on the pool deck.

I'm not happy about the fees and regulations, but I'd never want to move to Ohio
 
The feds are trying to pass a law right now stopping additional sin taxes on guns. We might have a shot to kill it at a federal level instead of court.
 
Yeah the tax is a bummer, but then I remember I can go swimming in the winter and it's not snowing on the pool deck.

I'm not happy about the fees and regulations, but I'd never want to move to Ohio
The weather honestly is the only reason California gets away with the cost of living/ taxes being outrageous.
 
Back
Top Bottom