18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

Revolver timing question.

JavelinFangs

⚠️ New Member | No Deposits ☢️
Messages
1
Hey all, over the weekend I took a Chiappa Rhino 40DS to the range. I'm the second owner but it's brand new with zero rounds through it. Loaded up 6 rounds of 158 grain .38 and after the first shot it failed to fire. Everything looks ok, so I unloaded and reloaded same 5 rounds back in and noticed that the cylinder moves out of alignment during the trigger pull. Unloaded and checked function, everything locks up nice and tight, dry fire function is ok. Loaded 6 rounds from a different box and same issue. Even loading 1 round, same issue. Almost seems like the cartridge is sitting just a bit back, away from the cylinder but it's definitely clear of any obstructions.

Cylinder is lined up when closed but if I pulled the hammer back or began squeezing the trigger, cylinder moves slightly out of alignment. Forcing a few trigger pulls just results in the hammer dropping but not firing. Inspected the closing and opening mechanism, also checked if anything wasn't flush as it should be but I couldn't find any issues. The range master looked at it as well but couldn't figure it out either.

I have another 60DS that has never had any issues, I have used the same ammo (Freedom munitions) and few different brands of .38 & .357 on it without any issues. Any ideas before I contact Chiappa for warranty?

TLDR - Dry fire = everything moving and aligning as it should be but live round = misaligned cylinder position, unable to fire.
 
Last edited:
Sounds like it needs to go back to the factory for a fix. I've done a lot of gunsmithing, but I'll avoid messing with revolver timing.

-Dave
 
Hey all, over the weekend I took a Chiappa Rhino 40DS to the range. I'm the second owner but it's brand new with zero rounds through it. Loaded up 6 rounds of 158 grain .38 and after the first shot it failed to fire. Everything looks ok, so I unloaded and reloaded same 5 rounds back in and noticed that the cylinder moves out of alignment during the trigger pull. Unloaded and checked function, everything locks up nice and tight, dry fire function is ok. Loaded 6 rounds from a different box and same issue. Even loading 1 round, same issue. Almost seems like the cartridge is sitting just a bit back, away from the cylinder but it's definitely clear of any obstructions.

Cylinder is lined up when closed but if I pulled the hammer back or began squeezing the trigger, cylinder moves slightly out of alignment. Forcing a few trigger pulls just results in the hammer dropping but not firing. Inspected the closing and opening mechanism, also checked if anything wasn't flush as it should be but I couldn't find any issues. The range master looked at it as well but couldn't figure it out either.

I have another 60DS that has never had any issues, I have used the same ammo (Freedom munitions) and few different brands of .38 & .357 on it without any issues. Any ideas before I contact Chiappa for warranty?

TLDR - Dry fire = everything moving and aligning as it should be but live round = misaligned cylinder position, unable to fire.
Is the rear of the cylinder moving to the side as you begin the double action pull?
If so, the crane is not locking into the frame correctly.
On a new gun, absolutely let the manufacturer fix it.
Try some good quality ammo from the likes of winchester, remington or federal before you send it in to positively eliminate the Freedom Munitions ammo as the cause because ammo that's out of spec could keep the cylinder from locking correctly and the problem would not show up at the factory because the factory would not use your specific kind of ammo.
The fact that you have other guns that tolerate the Freedom Munitions does not mean that this one does.
 
Back
Top Bottom