18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

Ruger LCP Max 380 user experience

I have an LC380 and while the trigger is a long pull to get used to (or spend on a trigger) its fine to shoot and accurate. It's nearly identical to the P365 in size, so I've thought of trading it for the LCP to drop in a pocket. It fits in a pocket but takes up all the space.
The lc380 can become lc9 with a slide and mag swap
 
Interestingly enough, Reno May posted a video on his thoughts on the Ruger LCP Max today:

 
MCarbo parts installed, dry fired about 10 times really like their trigger. Had a problem reinstalling mag disconnect, took to gunsmith friend and installed correctly. But it now has a curse or a blessing depending on your take. I have only dry fired and I can do it with or without the mag inserted. Yes, the gunsmith has done this to some other MCP IIs. Any suggestions?
 
I bought one a month ago. Have put 100 rounds through it with no malfunctions. I did lock back the slide overnight, before using it the first time, to break in the recoil spring.
It's going to replace my LCR as my pocket pistol. It fills that role very well. It disappears inside the pocket of my blue jeans. It's surprisingly accurate, for a 'mouse gun'. Only thing I don't like is the mag release button. It's small and you really have to deliberately push it in with some force, to release it.
 
Took the MAX out shot 3 mags through it really like the trigger. But with the mag disconnect not functioning was able to shoot without the mag inserted. Liability wise a little concerned. Had checked with IA and they said no go, e-mailed MCarbo and response was "Please note that the M*CARBO trigger upgrade kit for the Ruger LCP MAX is not compatible with the California-compliant (CA) version of the firearm." Now they tell me. Back to original trigger and see if can get refund.
 
I had some "issues" with the MCarbo trigger and the MD on the LCP II .22, eventually I was able to get it running smoothly with a little filing of the "dongle" so that it worked to stop the trigger if the dongle was not depressed, but didn't jam or lock up if the dongle was "in". There seems to be a clearance issue of a few thousands-ish where the upper end of the dongle gets hung up on the MD.

That said, I've left the stock trigger on the MAX and a couple LCP II .22's I bought for plinking with, as it's "good enuf" - I'd like the stock trigger to have a bit less takeup, but other than that....

I want to also see about the possibility of 3-D printing a spacer device that would keep the mag just far enough unseated so as to keep from disengaging the MD, with a ring so you could flick it out of the way and fully seat the mag.... I'm far too used to having a "manual" safety to thumb off and on, and that would be one thing I wish the LCPs in 380 had, like the SIG P238. Somewhere along the line, the trigger "dongle" became accepted as a "safety", but in theory there's still a slight risk of something somehow getting inside the trigger guard...
 
I'm not a huge fan of Mcarbo "upgrades". Over the years I've bought a bunch (mostly for Keltecs) and felt that most were just a sideways trade or an ever so slight improvement.

I currently have a Ruger LCP gen 2 and the P238. The LCP trigger is one of the worst triggers I've ever shot, coupled with sights that are pretty much non existent. The 238 on the other hand, is an absolute dream to shoot and not difficult to be proficient with. I don't consider them to be the same class of gun though. The 238 is bigger, heavier, and twice the price.
 
I've been carrying LCP's for almost 20 years. They're awful to shoot, but they are unbeatable for pocket carry. I picked up the LCP max recently and its the best one yet. Anyone complaining about the max have never shot the original ones. The sights are great, the trigger is tolerable, and it holds 10 rds. Hard to beat. I think I got mine for $275 on sale (before fees/taxes).
 
I've been carrying LCP's for almost 20 years. They're awful to shoot, but they are unbeatable for pocket carry. I picked up the LCP max recently and its the best one yet. Anyone complaining about the max have never shot the original ones. The sights are great, the trigger is tolerable, and it holds 10 rds. Hard to beat. I think I got mine for $275 on sale (before fees/taxes).
Couldn't agree more. I was excited to see the max make the roster and I'm sure I will be making the switch over as well.
 
If you are looking for a .380 get yourself a p365 in. 380 it is a much better firearm and is my pocket carry. My edc is a p365xl with a wilson combat grip module. They are both 100% reliable and easily to conceal. I've just never heard good things about the ruger lineup.
 
I appreciate the feedback. I'm not totally sold on the P365 being the great gun everyone makes it out to be. Besides capacity I think the P238 is a far superior 380 to the 365. With that said, I like the size of the LCP in my pocket much better.
 
I've been carrying LCP's for almost 20 years. They're awful to shoot, but they are unbeatable for pocket carry. I picked up the LCP max recently and its the best one yet. Anyone complaining about the max have never shot the original ones. The sights are great, the trigger is tolerable, and it holds 10 rds. Hard to beat. I think I got mine for $275 on sale (before fees/taxes).

Similar thoughts. Pocket carry of LCP for at least 10 years. Whenever it was the single shot exemption came about.

Got the max and was impressed but haven’t shot it yet. I’m sure it will be better.
 
I’ve got an off-roster LCP Max (gift from my son), that has all the Mcarbo upgrades to make it tolerable to shoot. Having said that, something tells me that S&W will produce a California version of the Bodyguard in the future; just as they did the Shield Plus.
 
I got one about a year before they hit the CA roster as a gift from my mom in Nevada. For me I can't shot it accurately beyond 3 yards and that accuracy isn't very good. I even have a second one - the anniversary model. I get the finger blister too after shooting 2-3 magazines. Despite this it is the only gun that I carry of the two other guns on my CCW permit. Carry it mostly as it's easy to carry in the front pocket with a Alabama pocket holster.
Weird, I had the original LCP 380 now the max. Both are accurate and easy to shoot, though I had to really do my part with the original lcp do to nonexistent sights and really thin grip. I sold the original lcp because after getting the max and I'll never go back. The max just feels so much better in the hand do to it being slightly wider grip and the sights are batter than a lot of fullsize pistols.
 
I have one, best and favorite ccw. Better than p365, better than 442. Who cares about the trigger, can dump all into an upper body sized target easily. 380 is no slouch
Again, the Galloway Precision Aluminum Trigger is a night and day difference in trigger feel. And I have not replaced any other trigger springs, etc.
 
Had the Max, worked fine but sold it and carry a SW 442 now.
I mostly carried a j frame 442 for over 20 years when I needed to pocket carry with an lcp gen 1 in the mix. After getting the lcp max I sold the lcp gen 1 and I will be giving my son my trusty 442 as a gift.

Funny your experience is opposite.
 
I bought the LCP Max before my local turners even had one in stock. I got it off their website when they first came on roster. The sights are perfect, the mag release is small, but that's okay for a carry piece. The trigger is something to work with, but if you practice it's cool. The trigger comes to a false wall, but if you pull it back ever so slightly you can feel the real wall. That's the sweet spot and once you have it down you can shoot decent groups. Here is a pic of mine at 15 yards the same day I figured out the trigger. It's a great little pistol.


IMG_20250607_144248333.jpg
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom