18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

Shield 1.0 9mm to 40 conversion?

KrizB

Member
Messages
37
Anyone know if its possible to convert a 9mm Shield 1.0 to .40?
I've heard you can do the .40 to 9mm conversion pretty easily by either dropping in a barrel or swapping out the entire slide assembly, but never heard of the opposite.

Recently bought a 9mm Shield for a couple hundred bucks and while looking on Ebay for mags noticed people sell the .40 slides and barrels for not that much.
 
The best way is to get a slide, barrel and recoil spring in .40
The .40 is very snappy and holds fewer rounds.
In all honestly the .40 is in low demand so you can most likely can pick up a complete pistol for the price of slide, barrel, recoil spring and magazines.
Try shooting one first...you might change your mind.
Do you have other .40s so already have the ammo?
 
I've shot .40 plenty of times and over the years have acquired a couple hundred rounds of it though trading and what not.
But I don't own any guns chambered in it because its never been a caliber that I've really been interested in.
Wasn't planning on buying a 9mm Shield but it was too cheap to pass up so I figured if I can shoot .40 out of it too I wouldn't mind spending a few bucks more on parts.
 
If you don't already have .40's, why would you want to get into the caliber? Not being critical, just curious as to your thinking. The general concensus these days seems to be that modern 9mm loads have rendered .40 obselete.
 
Its stupid, but way I see it, some people spend 1-2 grand on a .44mag revolver, shoot it a couple times, then let it sit or sell it.
My ".44mag revolver" will be like $150 worth of parts to shoot .40 and after I've had my fill I'll either let them sit or throw them back on Ebay.

The only reason I have a .30cal can of .40 is because people have used it in lieu of cash and I'm not hard up for money so I usually take whatevers offered.
I mean, one time I was selling a TV at a yard sale for $75 and a weird dude in van asked if I'll take $40 and an Urkel and Waldo.
Didn't know WTF he meant but told him "maybe, let me see them first" and he got two boxed dolls out of the creepy van and we did the deal.
He got a TV and I got $40, a little story, and two dolls that might've been involved in a crime 😬
.
.
2Ji6fgs.jpeg
 
Bolt faces are different. 40 bigger than 9mm. So easy go 40 to 9mm but only possible if 9mm slide is cut to accept 40. Safe route is swap the entire slide assembly
 
Just an opinion, but save the cash and get a .40 pistol. As someone that has bought more than his share of project guns, get something you are completely satisfied with as it is stock, then upgrade if you so desire. Sometimes what sounds like a good idea is just lipstick on a pig. But, like I said, I'm not one to talk as I am currently upgrading a mini14 while all the AR fans are looking at me like I'm that special cousin that took things too far with a watermelon at the last family reunion.

Long story short, don't bother investing in something you don't want to keep.

And just FYI, the watermelon was asking for it!
 
I originally had an M&P 1.0 in 40 and did the slide and magazine swap a lot with 9mm. It worked perfectly. I eventually got a great deal on an M&P 1.0 9mm complete upper. The 40 -> 9 conversion works fine, the 9 -> 40 does not work with just the barrel. I've since bought another M&P lower so now I have 2 separate M&P 1.0 guns in 9 and 40. I have also bought P320's and HK VP's both in 9 and 40 and with both of those guns, you can do 40 -> 9 conversion but cannot do 9 -> 40 conversions unless you file the barrel hood opening to accommodate the wider 40 barrel hood.

As others say, get 40 slide and 40 magazines if you want to shoot 40 S&W in the Shield.
 
Back
Top Bottom