18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

Staccato CS vs. HD 3.6 or H C4X

sabersix

⚠️ New Member | No Deposits ☢️
Messages
17
So I have a Staccato CS and wanted to know how it compared against the HD C3.6 or the HD C4X. I was curious if anyone has shot both and can provide any comparisons. I'm trying to decide if it is worth it to pick up one of the newer Staccatos.
 
Presumably for carry only purposes, right? The CS shoots about the same as the C3.6, maybe a tad bit better given the series 70 versus series 80 trigger, but they’re comparable. The CS obviously conceals easier as it’s somewhat thinner, but the mag length doesn’t do it any favors. I’d say it’s a wash, personally.

The C4X is its own thing, in my opinion. It shoots noticeably better than either stock and shoots better stock than aftermarket ported versions of either the CS or the C3.6. The comp design and execution is very good and especially for its size.

I find the C4X to conceal about the same as the rest (it’s literally like 0.5 ounces heavier than the C3.6 and 0.4 OAL longer) and put the other two to shame in shootability - especially as you shoot faster.

If you don’t mind carrying a ported or comped gun and the extra cost, I don’t think this is really a fair contest.
 
I think the C4X has an interesting niche as a lightweight dedicated carry/ccw option that carries like the C3.6, but shoots like the HD P4 for half an ounce more of weight and slightly more OAL (which is actually fine with me given keeling on shorter guns), while being a single piece machined barrel/comp, series 80 drop safe, etc.

Short of winning a 3.75 inch titanium comped/ported infinity, there's not much else in that size range that might beat it for a dedicated carry option for me and I have my larger/full size options covered between Atlas, Infinity, Wilson, etc.
 
I think the C4X has an interesting niche as a lightweight dedicated carry/ccw option that carries like the C3.6, but shoots like the HD P4 for half an ounce more of weight and slightly more OAL (which is actually fine with me given keeling on shorter guns), while being a single piece machined barrel/comp, series 80 drop safe, etc.

Short of winning a 3.75 inch titanium comped/ported infinity, there's not much else in that size range that might beat it for a dedicated carry option for me and I have my larger/full size options covered between Atlas, Infinity, Wilson, etc.
Is this some kind of copy and paste from someone else?

Edit: wait, this definitely is a direct copy and paste from a reddit comment. Kind of strange to not mention that or reframe it in any way.
 
Last edited:
The HD series is wider than the CS. IMO the HD slides are similar to glock width in comparison to the CS slide profile. Like others have said, the C4x is a cheat code when it comes to performance, but I enjoy shooting my 3.6 in comps from concealed or owb. People have different reasons as to why they bought a HD - mine is that I have a g19 and 17 and can take advantage of using either respective magazine in a 2011 platform bearing the name Staccato; giving me some false sense of wealth when im ccw around everyday people drinking $20 matcha from erewhon.
 
The HD series is wider than the CS. IMO the HD slides are similar to glock width in comparison to the CS slide profile. Like others have said, the C4x is a cheat code when it comes to performance, but I enjoy shooting my 3.6 in comps from concealed or owb. People have different reasons as to why they bought a HD - mine is that I have a g19 and 17 and can take advantage of using either respective magazine in a 2011 platform bearing the name Staccato; giving me some false sense of wealth when im ccw around everyday people drinking $20 matcha from erewhon.
Yup, true. Though I think the actual difference in width is actually pretty small in absolute terms. It's like 0.15 inches of difference between the CS and C3.6/C4X. The grip is actually shorter on the HD compact grip than the CS and conceals better as a result, so I find it kind of balances out and is just about what people prefer to shoot/carry.
 
HD C3.6X in aluminum frame?
Is this a question or a suggestion? "X" usually designates compensated models in Staccato's lineup. I would imagine a comped C3.6 (OAL of 3.6) wouldn't be different enough to warrant a whole new SKU and marketing campaign and also might be inching too close to the ~ 3.5 inch barrel length mark where 1911s/2011s lose some reliability over commander length offerings.
 
Is this a question or a suggestion? "X" usually designates compensated models in Staccato's lineup. I would imagine a comped C3.6 (OAL of 3.6) wouldn't be different enough to warrant a whole new SKU and marketing campaign and also might be inching too close to the ~ 3.5 inch barrel length mark where 1911s/2011s lose some reliability over commander length offerings.
Its a suggestion. basically a C3.6 with a comp. I'm not a gunsmith, but with all those CAD modeling, hope they can make it work.
or I'm ok with HD P4X.
 
Its a suggestion. basically a C3.6 with a comp. I'm not a gunsmith, but with all those CAD modeling, hope they can make it work.
or I'm ok with HD P4X.
I think I'm still confused as a C3.6 with a comp is the C4X. They're 0.4 inches in difference and the difference is just the integral comp.

The HD P4X (steel frame full size comped model) was teased as part of a very limited batch done for the rangers, but might presumably be what's being announced later this month by Staccato and released on July 4th.
 
I think the C4X has an interesting niche as a lightweight dedicated carry/ccw option that carries like the C3.6, but shoots like the HD P4 for half an ounce more of weight and slightly more OAL (which is actually fine with me given keeling on shorter guns), while being a single piece machined barrel/comp, series 80 drop safe, etc.

Short of winning a 3.75 inch titanium comped/ported infinity, there's not much else in that size range that might beat it for a dedicated carry option for me and I have my larger/full size options covered between Atlas, Infinity, Wilson, etc.
Super strange to directly copy a comment sir and not edit it to be your own/change what it says.
 
I think I'm still confused as a C3.6 with a comp is the C4X. They're 0.4 inches in difference and the difference is just the integral comp.

The HD P4X (steel frame full size comped model) was teased as part of a very limited batch done for the rangers, but might presumably be what's being announced later this month by Staccato and released on July 4th.

I would love to see a P4X so that I can pick up a C4X used with a discount lol
 
Wish we could pick up staccato CPO drops as the value is a lot higher on those lightly used models that are inspected and resold by staccato and maintain their factory lifetime warranty.
 
I bought a 3.6 to try out compared to my CS. Didn’t like the way it fit my hands compared to the CS so I ended up giving it to my father. Nothing about the 70 series (trigger, grip safety, etc.) has ever been a concern or problem for me.

If the palm/grip of HD series was more aligned to legacy models I would probably own a couple.
 
I'll probably swap the grip on my C4X to an MJD grip when that releases as it'll probably be better contoured and a bit thinner. But, I don't mind the extra thickness. Doesn't make a noticeable difference to me in terms of concealment, but does make a noticeable different in terms of providing enough space on the grip to get solid contact with my support hand. Glock mags and series 80 are just bonus points, but I definitely prefer no grip safety and the HD stuff over the 2023/2024 C/CS after having owned and carried both.
 
I know im gonna get flamed for this but….The c4x costs literally 50% more than the c3.6. It shoots better. Sure. In terms of concealing negligible difference. But in terms of real life ccw they are both more status symbol than practical.
If you actually are involved in an incident the gun will be seized. Do you want a 4K gun (after taxes/fees) sitting in the evidence locker indefinitely?
How much does the accuracy/shootability factor matter when the vast vast majority of ccw incidents involve a distance of 10 feet or less. Reliability and ease of carry (however you wanna define that) is probably more important. You aren’t trying to pick someone off at 25 yds with your ccw. Ergo the popularity of micro compacts in this arena. They generally make more sense
I mean frankly for the vast majority of us any staccato is more status symbol than practical as a ccw. Just being honest here. And yes. I own a couple and yes I even have one on my ccw. But yeah. It’s a status symbol.

As for CS vs the HD c series….i can only compare to the C2 and original C. The original C has the grip i like most. The c3.6 and C4x functionally have the same grip (the Magwell on C4 vs using the mags with the “foot” on c3.6). C2 shoots better IMO than 3.6 probably not quite as good as C4x but close. Im not sure why but the C2 feels more solid in hand than the 3.6 altho not sure exactly why that is. They arent really any different weight wise. The original (single stack) C feels best in hand to me, but i shoot the others better. Honestly my C single stack i dont shoot well for whatever reason, altho it “feels” best in hand.
 
I know im gonna get flamed for this but….The c4x costs literally 50% more than the c3.6. It shoots better. Sure. In terms of concealing negligible difference. But in terms of real life ccw they are both more status symbol than practical.
If you actually are involved in an incident the gun will be seized. Do you want a 4K gun (after taxes/fees) sitting in the evidence locker indefinitely?
How much does the accuracy/shootability factor matter when the vast vast majority of ccw incidents involve a distance of 10 feet or less. Reliability and ease of carry (however you wanna define that) is probably more important. You aren’t trying to pick someone off at 25 yds with your ccw. Ergo the popularity of micro compacts in this arena. They generally make more sense
I mean frankly for the vast majority of us any staccato is more status symbol than practical as a ccw. Just being honest here. And yes. I own a couple and yes I even have one on my ccw. But yeah. It’s a status symbol.

As for CS vs the HD c series….i can only compare to the C2 and original C. The original C has the grip i like most. The c3.6 and C4x functionally have the same grip (the Magwell on C4 vs using the mags with the “foot” on c3.6). C2 shoots better IMO than 3.6 probably not quite as good as C4x but close. Im not sure why but the C2 feels more solid in hand than the 3.6 altho not sure exactly why that is. They arent really any different weight wise. The original (single stack) C feels best in hand to me, but i shoot the others better. Honestly my C single stack i dont shoot well for whatever reason, altho it “feels” best in hand.
I think that kind of depends on the individual and their circumstances. I’ve only shot, trained with, and competed with 2011 as far as handguns go for the past decade. It doesn’t make much sense to break away from that manual of arms, grip angle, natural index, etc. for me to carry something else. As for costs, I’m sure that’s part of it, but I honestly would just be happy with coming out unscathed and healthy in a justified case of self defense. I’m not really interested or willing to try to game out what will or won’t happen to me, so I just prefer to be as prepared as I can be and have a gun that might have more capability or capacity than might be needed. The other way around does not sound like a good time to me.

Basically, my life is, to me specifically, worth whatever it takes whether that’s a $500 carry gun or $10k carry gun. They’re easily replaced, but I think make the assumption that you’ll automatically win the fight or not be left disabled, injured, in pain for life, plus the emotional, mental, and legal costs possibly defending yourself civilly and criminally would likely dwarf any gun’s carry gun’s cost.

I won’t tell others what is or isn’t right or worth it for them as I don’t know their situation, level of training, or other factors that play in.

Also, the C2 is going to just feel better to shoot as the grip angle is slightly more natural than the HD grip angle and the series 70 trigger is cleaner than the series 80 stuff if you’re feeling for it.
 
It’s not the grip angle. It’s something about the heft altho i cant figure that out. My mental perception is that it’s the heft altho it shouldn’t be different. Or at least i dont think it’s the grip angle. Not the trigger either. Sure the C2 70 trigger is “cleaner” but it’s not like the HD is “bad”. It’s still a pretty damn good trigger. And again like i said, the C has that same grip angle and “feels better” in hand, but i shoot it terribly for whatever reason.
 
Back
Top Bottom