18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

  • Welcome

    Welcome to CAguns

    Join California’s gun owner community. Create a free account to join discussions and explore member features.

Sunnyvale Rod & Gun Club

Radman64

⚜️ Member
CAguns Supporter
Founder 2026 2 25+ 2 Mostest
Messages
683
If you live in the South Bay Area this is the hidden gem, private club but open to the public on Tuesdays & Saturdays. The staff is all volunteer members and it is one of the best ranges in the Bay Area imo. Free paper targets of all types, free spotting scopes, steel targets for center rifle, pistol and rimfire with the cleanest restroom's I have ever seen. Nestled in a valley along side Stevens Creek Reservoir on the Eastern side of the Santa Cruz mountains and a beautiful skeet/trap range.
No jerks saying to slow your fire down unless one is going out of control.
 
Agree. Nice place. I always contrast it with Los Altos Rod and Gun (badly run), and Metcalf (very well run, but also super busy and has to be restrictive).
 
Los Altos has become almost 🥨 like with the safety, I got told last time I was there to slow my rate of fire down shooting a bolt action Enfield, a far cry from what it was years ago.
Metcalf is okay but it sucks when it's the summer and everything is dead.
 
Love Sunnyvale! The most attractive feature for me are they provide both pistol range steel targets and the steel at 100 yard mark. They also run rimfire silhouette matches occasionally. Met lots of good knowledgeable people there over the years.
 
They’re open tues and sat for public right? Any tips on first time goer to Sunnyvale? “Intermediate” pistol shooter here
 
They’re open tues and sat for public right? Any tips on first time goer to Sunnyvale? “Intermediate” pistol shooter here
Correct and no tips really come to my head but sometimes the pistol lanes will be full but never a long wait for one to come free. I usually bring a small ice chest with a sandwich & some snacks (they have cold drinks available from a vending machine) as I tend to spend hours there. I always bring a variety of firearms (I.E. centerfire, pistols & rimfire) so I'm always able to shoot. What you will find thats really cool is the amount of free paper targets of different styles, steel targets where they also supply the spray-paint to clean them up during the shooting breaks for target servicing which is around every 15-20 minutes. The staff is all volunteer from club members and I've never met one who wasn't nice always being helpful. I generally go on Saturdays around 11 and stay till 3 when they close it to the public, I really don't go to any other range anymore as all the rest including the indoor one's are just to restrictive now a days and by far the cleanest/nicest restrooms of them all. I also like the fact they allow smoking where some sites like Metcalf forbid it even in the parking lot (it's a county owned park), it's nice to take a break and have a cigarette taking in the beauty of the mountains between shooting not being shuttled to some restricted area.
 
Another nice feature they have is a very long rifle rack. I bring a lot, also steel storage shelves for cases you brought your rifle in.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_6800.jpg
    IMG_6800.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 43
It's a great platform but I never dialed it in like I could have lol, that rifle was built correct, you got a great deal just like I did.;)
 
This is a very fun thing for those that really enjoy shooting rimfire but I gave my brother my Marlin 700 last year, he had a problem with NW Ravens.
 

Attachments

  • Range shooting.png
    Range shooting.png
    33.5 KB · Views: 36
Back
Top Bottom