18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

  • Welcome

    Welcome to CAguns

    Join California’s gun owner community. Create a free account to join discussions and explore member features.

Tactical Lever Action

Been down this road. With an 1854 and a Henry Lever Action Supreme.

If you want 300 go henry. Mag fed is way better than tube fed.

But know this, by putting all the the ranger point precision parts my rifle was heavier. But attaching stuff to the stock and foreend really took the greatest aspects of a lever action away. Wasn't svelte in form anymore.

If I were you or me 3 years ago I would:

Sw1854 stainless with polymer furniture and mlok slot for light RRP loading gate

Sw1854 wood furniture no light rrp loading gate.

Henry LAS 556/300

Henry Homesteader with mlok slot on forened for light
 
Besides my Henry 357 I also found this stunning Marlin at Gunther Guns here in Carlsbad.

It came with AAA figured walnut stock. It's lighter than the Henry.20240702_123040.webp20240702_123435.webp
 
I went down a rabbit hole for my Henry Model X in 45-70. I went with Midwest Industries Handguard and Chisel Machining StockModel X.webp
 
whelp, Ranger Point has an order to put together on Monday...I thought about the Marlin Dark too, but since I would be replacing furniture on either, I decided in the 1854 Stealth Hunter instead - its a little cheaper to start off with. Hopefully, I don't get distracted with something that the boxes sit for 4 years like you!

Man, these other builds have rekindled my interest, haha!!

I recently got a Henry Bear’s Leg in 45-70…it’s already a bit tacti-cool, just needs an RDS and light (it came with a pic rail for the receiver).

ETA: For those unaware, this is a *pistol*, not an SBR haha!!

IMG_7418.webp
 
So I'm starting to go down the rabbit hole on building out a tactical lever action. Starting with an 1854 S&W 16.3" barrel, and it just looks like you can build out something super cool with Ranger Point Precision parts. Im going down the 357/38 path so I can shoot it without taking out a small loan, but be cool to see these in 300 AAC as well.

Love to hear from the experts messing around with these things. When I search there doesn't seem to be a thread - hoping to see some good ideas, and if anyone has built out theirs, let's see your tactical lever action!
I have done a few of these builds for people.
I can also shorten/thread and perm-attach the brake for the shortest legal barrel length.
 
Man, these other builds have rekindled my interest, haha!!

I recently got a Henry Bear’s Leg in 45-70…it’s already a bit tacti-cool, just needs an RDS and light (it came with a pic rail for the receiver).

ETA: For those unaware, this is a *pistol*, not an SBR haha!!

View attachment 254951
Where did you get yours? I only know 2Azone that’s willing to get mares/bears legs. A lot of FFLs say there legal reps advise against it since it’s “grey area” even though it’s a pistol thats literally single shot.
 
Where did you get yours? I only know 2Azone that’s willing to get mares/bears legs. A lot of FFLs say there legal reps advise against it since it’s “grey area” even though it’s a pistol thats literally single shot.
PPT

Also, they’re *not* single-shot. My 45-70 hold three rounds. The 38/357 & 44 hold five rounds.

And I can see where an FFL would be hesitant. Here’s the Penal Code for the SSE:

“Article 4 (commencing with Section 31900) and Article 5 (commencing with Section 32000) shall not apply to a single-shot pistol with a break top or bolt action and a barrel length of not less than six inches and that has an overall length of at least 10½ inches when the handle, frame or receiver, and barrel are assembled."

If the FFL thinks a lever action is a type of bolt action, then the pathway to SSE seems clear. If they (or their legal team) don’t, then it’s a no-go.

When I PPT’d a Mares Leg a few years ago, the FFL threw us out of the store saying we were trying to PPT an SBR, haha!! We went up the road a bit and PPT’d no problem.

Good luck in your search!!
 
how do you address the ammo tube being longer than the barrel?

I bought the Stealth Hunter / 357 and at the 16" mark it sticks out slightly beyond.

I shorten it.
Then the barrel needs either a hole drilled and tapped if the mag tube endcap uses a screw threaded directly into the barrel or a dovetail cut if the mag tube endcap sits on a dovetailed post.
Different manufacturers retain the end of the magazine tube different ways, but it's possible to shorten any of them.
In the photo on your S&W link, the front mag tube support block is dovetailed directly into the barrel.
The mag tube is likely captured between the support block and the receiver on that gun so it's no problem to move the support block rearward and shorten both inner and outer mag tubes.
 
Last edited:
Man, these other builds have rekindled my interest, haha!!

I recently got a Henry Bear’s Leg in 45-70…it’s already a bit tacti-cool, just needs an RDS and light (it came with a pic rail for the receiver).

ETA: For those unaware, this is a *pistol*, not an SBR haha!!

View attachment 254951
How is it shooting this without a stock, like you would a rifle?
 
How is it shooting this without a stock, like you would a rifle?
A handful, haha!!

Henry’s ad-copy says, “ For maximum authority in minimum space…” Yep.

I’ve got some Underwood 45-70 +P ammo I’d like to try with it next time I’m feeling adventurous.
 
So I'm starting to go down the rabbit hole on building out a tactical lever action. Starting with an 1854 S&W 16.3" barrel, and it just looks like you can build out something super cool with Ranger Point Precision parts. Im going down the 357/38 path so I can shoot it without taking out a small loan, but be cool to see these in 300 AAC as well.

Love to hear from the experts messing around with these things. When I search there doesn't seem to be a thread - hoping to see some good ideas, and if anyone has built out theirs, let's see your tactical lever action!
Ngl I might try something similar with the Marlin 336 lol
 
Back
Top Bottom