- Messages
- 26
Recommendation for good targets for plinking out to about 100 yards. It would be nice if the base is stable and/or can be dug into the ground with ease.
By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.
Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.
Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

I am currently using Atlas Target Works targets and stands for the NRL22 matches.
![]()
1/4" SR500+: Rimfire Targets (.17 HMR, .22LR)
www.atlastargetworks.com
I use the stand with the base legs as opposed to staking into the ground. My only complaint with the Atlas Target Works stands is that the legs are secured by default with cotter pins which tend to come off in use because of bullet ricochet strikes. I've been using wire ties to keep them in place, but this makes them less easy to tear down if you want to tear them down for transport (I keep these stands at the range, so it's not an issue for me).
I used to use JC Steel Targets for NRL22, with home made wood bases so we don't have to hammer the stands into the ground. Putting target stands into the ground gets tedious every match which is why I prefer just stands with legs.
The Midwest Precision stands are really nice, but pricey. If you look at their video on how the design works, it is a sound design. https://midwestprecisionshooting.com/shop
I use this unit. Very compact (legs fit in the shipped “tube” and the targets I just bungee together. You can pic the sizes. Super stable and no need to stick in the ground.Recommendation for good targets for plinking out to about 100 yards. It would be nice if the base is stable and/or can be dug into the ground with ease.
Dueling trees are cool, no doubt. In the context of rimfire though, IMO, don't think it's a good option; not enough power to flip the paddles.I have had Action Targets Rimfire Dueling tree for over 5+ years now. First thing everyone wants to try and shoot at. A bit expensive but worth every penny.
It’s a rimfire dueling tree. Works flawlessly.Dueling trees are cool, no doubt. In the context of rimfire though, IMO, don't think it's a good option; not enough power to flip the paddles.
I stand corrected.It’s a rimfire dueling tree. Works flawlessly.

shootingtargets7.com
Each grid is 1 inch. You can see through with an optic instead of walking down range. For example if you are zero’ed for 50 yards; you can test holdovers or optic holdover marks at 100 yards and keep track a little easier?Recommendation for good targets for plinking out to about 100 yards. It would be nice if the base is stable and/or can be dug into the ground with ease.
Know your limits stuff is fun with rimfire is one of my favorites. The same size targets get harder and harder when you just add more distance.I like shooting the KYL swingers. The 3/4, 1/2 and 1/4" ones can be challenging at 50 yards.
View attachment 16047
![]()
Know Your Limits (KYL) Target System
Know Your Limits Target with over 14,000 sold and used at NRL nationals. America's only made in USA zinc plated kyl target with rotary cut steel spacers.shootingtargets7.com


