By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.
Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.
Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.
I think that there's probably more variation in the picatinny rail I'm mounting to than the scope rings and even if they are out of alignment, if they hold the scope steady and point of impact doesn't change then it's not going to matter. Competitive bench rest guys can do it but no other shooting sport or hunting will need that level.of accuracy because there's a lot more variation due to ballistics than there will be on decently made rings. If you look at Bryan Litz's Weapon Employment Zone calculations there's a ton of error built into ballistics and the interaction of powder, projectile and environment. Obviously don't use Momstrum rings but hell I have a rifle with UTG lol
So I went down the Youtube rabbit hole and found this video . At the end, there are a few actual alignment tests of some of the more expensive rings . TLDR: He tested some of the more expensive rings and bases and found most are slightly out of alignment. I guess for me it doesn't hurt as long as you don't over do it and I'll probably continue to do it since I have all the tools already. It seems even the more expensive rings are not always 100% aligned when mounted on a rifle due to other factors like receiver and mounting base. For what I use my rifles for (hunting), it's not going make a difference in accuracy but more or less just to make sure the scope is in place and I don't damage the tube. What are you thoughts?
Disclaimer: I'm not affiliated in anyway with the author of this video or any products shown in this video.
Seems every Remington 700 I have owned when installing/checking scope bases needed bedding-Regardless of base mfr (Badger, PRI, and Leupy). The assumption being that no two Remington receiver is machined exactly straight/parallel/cylindrical?If a base is not straight, I would take the base off and bed the base so that the base is perfectly flat.
The older ones that were hand finished on a belt sander are exactly as you said.Seems every Remington 700 I have owned when installing/checking scope bases needed bedding-Regardless of base mfr (Badger, PRI, and Leupy). The assumption being that no two Remington receiver is machined exactly straight/parallel/cylindrical?
on the old ones people talking about "truing" Remington 700 actions before putting nice precision rifle barrels on. There's a reason why no one uses Remington branded actions anymore they just use the footprint. Even if you aren't buying a custom you should just get a Bergara rather than a Remington, they're basically the same price.Seems every Remington 700 I have owned when installing/checking scope bases needed bedding-Regardless of base mfr (Badger, PRI, and Leupy). The assumption being that no two Remington receiver is machined exactly straight/parallel/cylindrical?
Yeah, I get it that some truing or "manipulation" will be required. Maybe what you say makes sense to a person just getting into precision rifles, but I have a reason for using the older Rem 700 receivers...There's a reason why no one uses Remington branded actions anymore
I don't lap the rings, but I do bed the scope base to ensure it doesn't get torqued/twisted/bent since some rifle receivers may not exactly match the profile under the base. That will cause the rings to be out of alignment.I've always lapped mine mostly just to get an even surface contact, but recently was told it's unnecessary unless the rings are out of alignment.
The marine corps rifles were built on standard off-the-shelf receivers and bolts.well to be fair those were custom built by the marine corps and not the off the shelf rem 700 action
I had read that they tuned the actions starting with the A1, so a custom action, a custom stock and a custom barrel. That sounds like a custom build to me!The marine corps rifles were built on standard off-the-shelf receivers and bolts.
What's custom on them is the barrel and stock and some extra machining for clip slotting and sight bases.
A reworked factory action is still a factory action.I had read that they tuned the actions starting with the A1, so a custom action, a custom stock and a custom barrel. That sounds like a custom build to me!
"t is worth noting that since the introduction of the M40A1 variant, the rifle has been accurized, fit and assembled by Marines, for Marines. Years of building M40 clones for the civilian market has given me a great respect for the level of skill and the attention to detail of the Marine gunsmiths and armorers who build these weapons in Quantico, Va. Remington has long been known for their lightweight, strong and cost-efficient Model 700. While factory Remington actions are fine for the casual whitetail hunter, the Marines use them purely as a starting point. There are many fine details that can make or break the accuracy of a bolt-action rifle, and these details are sorted out in a process called "blueprinting." A true match rifle should have the raceway of the bolt perfectly in line with the bore."
![]()
The USMC M40 Sniper Rifle: At the End of a Useful Life? - Firearms News
Next year, the Marine Corp will celebrate the 50th birthday of an old friend: the 7.62x51mm M40www.firearmsnews.com