18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

  • Welcome

    Welcome to CAguns

    Join California’s gun owner community. Create a free account to join discussions and explore member features.

Unsure How to Proceed with CA Gun Registration

tthefett

⚠️ New Member | No Deposits ☢️
Messages
2
Hello,

I was back and forth between NV and CA from 2019-2025 caring for a family member. Because of this I left a firearm that was purchased and registered in NV behind because I knew legally bringing it to CA would require some kind of process I didn't want to deal with. Now that things have calmed down, I am wanting to bring it back from NV on an upcoming trip, but don't understand if I would still submit the New Resident form since I've been back in CA for more than 60 Days. Any assistance with this is appreciated.

Thank you.
 
The form says "New Resident", but the Penal Code - 27560 says (a)(1) Within 60 days after bringing any firearm into this state, a personal firearm importer shall do one of the following:

I think the assumption comes from the fact that Federal law only allows handguns to be purchased from your primary residence. So as long as you got it before moving back to CA you should just need to register it.
 
PC 27560: (a)(1) Within 60 days after bringing any firearm into this state, a personal firearm importer shall do one of the following:

etc..
 
Back
Top Bottom