18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

Used 686

Messages
16
Trying to determine whether a used 686 Plus Deluxe 3" is on the roster. The seller doesn't have the model number but he gave me the serial number. All indications are it's a model 150853 but "I think it is" doesn't cut it with the Cali DOJ. Does anyone know if it's possible to verify with just the serial number?
Thanks
 
Is this a face to face PPT? don't need to worry about the roster if that is the case.

He needs to open up the crane and the model will be stamped under the SN. Can't really go by serial unless he calls s&w with that serial and THEY can look it up.
 
I’m not entirely up to speed on this but the roster models have a different prefix on the part markings in the actual revolver I believe. If you google this then can compare to the firearm in question I think it’ll answer your question
 
A 3” 686+ (especially if it has no lock) in good condition would be a very nice revolver to own.
Hopefully you will be able to have it.
 
IMO pass, unless you are comfortable removing the lock.
I’ll just throw out there: super small test size but I’ve carried a 642 as a back up gun at work and a pocket gun outside work for 15 years. It’s seen a fair number of rounds, several thousand. The locks never been an issue. I will say I’ve never used it ever, don’t know if that plays a role. Honestly I’ve never heard of anyone’s gun locking on its own it’s just always been a speculation deal on the internet
 
I’ll just throw out there: super small test size but I’ve carried a 642 as a back up gun at work and a pocket gun outside work for 15 years. It’s seen a fair number of rounds, several thousand. The locks never been an issue. I will say I’ve never used it ever, don’t know if that plays a role. Honestly I’ve never heard of anyone’s gun locking on its own it’s just always been a speculation deal on the internet
That is a worthwhile contribution, and has merit. Yes, I agree that many on “the net” haven’t really taken a deep dive into the subject.

I’ve been attending the Pat Rogers Revolver Roundup event over at Gunsite for the past three years; this fall I will attend again. It is a three-day symposium of training for revolver geeks, and brings a number of very experienced LE folks from the training world who have actually had use for revolvers in real situations. This past year there were in attendance a crew of Smith & Wesson repair employees (set up shop at the event) who also had collectively lots of time with nearly all of their revolver models and variations. From what I gather, the “Hillary Hole” lock rarely ever actually fails, but has on rare occasion caused some users to have issues. It consists of a number of extra parts added to a design that didn’t need them, a design that worked very well before it was added, and takes time during the manufacturing process that could quite frankly be better used elsewhere. While the presence of the lock does not degrade a revolver’s trigger pull specs, the issue that actually comes up the most is some folks who actually use it somehow end up loosing or misplacing the keys, thus rendering their revolver useless. I personally equate the whole lock issue to a magazine disconnect on an auto pistol; making it an inferior club. At least it can be unlocked and left in that condition. I suspect that is the way most users approach the issue. The S&W repair folks might say the same.
My solution is to remove the lock mechanism, and installing the fitted plug in its place. That way I have no concern about misplacing some key for something I don’t use anyway.
That is one reason (of several) why revolvers without the lock are desired by many users. I think that going forward we will see the lock becoming less common on more of the models being produced. It has already started with some. I’d like to see the lock completely gone, but it will take some time.
 
I’m in total agreement with you, I’d rather have one without than with. But if I saw a good deal on a nice revolver I wouldn’t pass on it because of the lock.
 
It used to be the 3" 686 plus was on the roster, but not the 6 shooter. Currently I see 3" 686 models on the roster, all seem to be the 686-6 version. If it's being shipped to you, you need to get the dash number before it's sent. It's not easily found by using the serial number, although it might be available from S&W if you can actually reach the right person. Right now I don't remember where all the dash numbers are located, might be on the bottom of the frame under the grips/stocks.
I know a guy that ordered a 686 (roster version) years ago from Davidson's, had it delivered to a local dealer. The roster version was the Plus, the box said Plus, but the version in the box only had 6 holes. Not on the roster at the time.
I have used both a 6 hole and a Plus version. The 3" is really sweet. It has the full length ejector rod, pretty handy. Also a nice balance. Much nicer than the shorter versions.
Good luck.
 
Back
Top Bottom