18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

Feedback Walther PPQ Q5 Match acquisition

BigBossman

Well-known member
Messages
243
I recently picked up a used PPQ Q5 Match 9mm with a Vortex Venom optic, and took it to the range for the first time yesterday. As a long time 1911 shooter, this is my first time fooling with a striker fired gun and it took some getting used to for the trigger and reset, as well as trying to find that damn red dot. 😁

Question - is there any way to make the trigger more 1911-like?

Anyhow, after a while I was getting pretty comfortable with it and shooting excellent groups at 20 yards. Still not ready to jump into competition with it until I practice more, so I'll be sticking with the 1911 until I'm comfortable enough to shoot it under competition pressure. Plus, I need to get a good holster and a couple extra magazines to get kitted out.

First impressions are good - the trigger is funky as compared to what I've been shooting for decades and I really would prefer to stick with .45acp, but the gun shoots and it is comfortable in my hands. It is kinda weird shooting a plastic gun, though. Gotta admit - I freely concede that take-down and cleaning is sooooooo much easier and faster than a 1911....... almost unbelievably so. I figure for $650, I did OK and can get my money out of it if I decide it isn't for me.

1747325981263.png
 
Try an Apex Tactical Flat-Faced Aluminum Forward Set Trigger With Tuned Trigger Bar. (I have a post on calguns with lot's of info about different triggers and spring kits for this pistol)

It drastically changes the pull, feel, weight, take up and reset all the way around. I think you'll find this trigger complements the pistol very well for what you're looking for.

Great pistol either way, good luck!!

Matt



EDIT: I'd link the post but I cannot get on calguns.....
 
Try an Apex Tactical Flat-Faced Aluminum Forward Set Trigger With Tuned Trigger Bar. (I have a post on calguns with lot's of info about different triggers and spring kits for this pistol)

It drastically changes the pull, feel, weight, take up and reset all the way around. I think you'll find this trigger complements the pistol very well for what you're looking for.

Great pistol either way, good luck!!

Matt



EDIT: I'd link the post but I cannot get on calguns.....

Interesting, thanks. I went to the Apex website, and did not see a kit for the Walther.
 
I have Walther's Dynamic Performance Trigger on my Q5 Match SF and it's fantastic, solid wall, crisp break and short reset.
 
Last edited:
I have Walther's Dynamic Performance Trigger on my Q5 Match SF and it's fantastic, solid wall, crisp break and short reset.

I have a Dynamic Trigger too but the Apex is more of what the OP is looking for. I've shot both with spring kits and can say the Apex would be better for his application.

Matt
 
Yes, I saw that, but there was no way I could see to actually order it. I sent them an email, and will report back when they reply.

I see that now too, please let me know what they say.

I have one if you'd like to try it. I can pretty much guarantee you'll like it. I'm so sure of that I'll offer a money back guarantee on it! As long as you don't damage it in any way, I'll refund your money if you don't like it. (you'll need to fund the shipping though)

I hope they still offer them but if not let me know if you'd be interested.

No worries either way,

Matt
 
I see that now too, please let me know what they say.

I have one if you'd like to try it. I can pretty much guarantee you'll like it. I'm so sure of that I'll offer a money back guarantee on it! As long as you don't damage it in any way, I'll refund your money if you don't like it. (you'll need to fund the shipping though)

I hope they still offer them but if not let me know if you'd be interested.

No worries either way,

Matt
Matt,

You have my attention. :) Please PM me the details.......
 
Back
Top Bottom